After being in beta testing for ages now, Apple has finally released the iOS 10.3 update and the watchOS 3.2 update. While the watchOS update is a minor one, the iOS 10.3 update is a major one as Apple is changing the file system of the iOS, which is called as Apple File System (APFS).
The new APFS is more efficient than the old file system, much-improved encryption, better flash storage, and backups. Another major feature added to the OS is the 'Find My AirPods,' which helps in discovering your AirPods when you lost them.
Besides, Siri has been updated yet again with improvements to SiriKit. Apple has enabled app developers to integrate payments and ride scheduling. Also, Siri now delivers scores of the ongoing Cricket matches. In addition, there's a new Apple ID category in the Settings app making it easier for the users for accessing their Apple account settings. There are several other minor tweaks in the OS.
On the flip side, the watchOS has been updated to 3.2 brings the Theater Mode feature and the SiriKit support. With the new Theater Mode, the Apple Watch automatically turns off the display whenever you enter a theatre, and that's pretty useful for many out there. With the SiriKit support, developers can add voice commands to their apps in the future.
The iOS 10.3 update weighs 613.7MB and is already rolling out for all the supported iPhons, iPads, iPods. The watchOS 3.2 update has also started rolling out and will reach your device in coming days.
The official changelog of iOS 10.3 is listed below.
iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking, and automaker apps.
- Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
- Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings, and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car" in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari, and Mail