Samsung to stop using its own SDI batteries on Galaxy Note7; sales suspended

Samsung Galaxy Note7 came under fire (quite literally) for its faulty battery, which caused explosions while charging. Around 35 units of the Note7 were reported with the issue. As a repercussion, the company had to announce an official recall of the defective good, globally. Samsung’s SDI subsidiary manufactured the batteries for the Note7. The batteries were set on high volt intake from the charger, which was done to enhance fast charging on the device. The plan backfired when increased volt intake resulted in explosions on many units. Samsung has officially suspended the sales of the device.

galaxy-note-7-exploded-4-720x480-c

Latest reports from Samsung’s homeland suggest that the company might stop using the faulty SDI batteries. These batteries won’t be a part of any product that comes out of Samsung. Well, that’s the sanest decision, after all, these batteries are downright dangerous. Many Korean publications quoted chiefs at Samsung saying,“As a follow-up of the battery issue, we decided to temporally stop using Samsung SDI’s battery for Galaxy Note 7.”

Samsung SDI is alleged to have outfitted up to 70% of batteries utilized in the Note7, while Hong Kong-based Amperex Technology fulfilled the remaining 30%, which is a subsidiary of Japan’s TDK Corp. Amperex announced that it only provided batteries for Note7 in China, which is the only region that is untouched by any issue.

Talking about the losses that Samsung’s smartphone business is going to incur, the company’s head Koh Dong Jin declared that the recall exercise would fetch a ‘heartbreaking amount’. Many analysts predict the figure to land somewhere around $1 Billion.

Reported By

Leave a Reply

10 Comments on "Samsung to stop using its own SDI batteries on Galaxy Note7; sales suspended"

 

Sort by:   newest | oldest
Sunny | Lucknow
September 6, 2016 10:35 pm 10:35 PM

What kind of SDI hui batteries were these?! LOL.

Sidd
September 6, 2016 6:00 pm 6:00 PM

I even purchased a cover for my to be Note 7 from Amazon in advance. I was waiting to grab it as soon as it arrived in stores on 3rd sep.

Boo hoo.

geek
September 6, 2016 6:09 pm 6:09 PM

hard luck ! 😀

Sidd
September 6, 2016 7:25 pm 7:25 PM

It is indeed. My Note 4 has cursed me for giving it up for The Next Big Thing and now the only big thing in all of this is the battery explosions.

Sudhakar
September 6, 2016 4:03 pm 4:03 PM

Samsung is at least generous to give full refund of the handsets and accessories allowing users to retain the memory card.

If it was xiaomi, meizu, micromax or similar third class company, the entire amount that was spent for buying the mobile would have been swaahaa.

Respond2aji
September 7, 2016 10:14 am 10:14 AM

Xiaomi a 3rd class company? Are u nuts? Go get educated

rajiev
September 6, 2016 5:00 pm 5:00 PM

i think their(third class company) battery doesn’t explode, sorry for my english.

TelecomTime
September 6, 2016 4:46 pm 4:46 PM

Have u ever used Xiaomi Mi series, if not thn don’t take its name.

aditya
September 6, 2016 4:22 pm 4:22 PM

Do you read newspapers or international forums ? Check out, Even Xiaomi have issued full refund for such incidents, but your so called Samsung did a big bulshit to release its hardware ahead of apple without even testing it properly and did this big blunder… Ab tu bol raha hai bhiyaa galti hogayi to ye paise lelo full refund… Matlab kuch bhi bol bus Samsung hi acha hai …

Mavendependency
September 6, 2016 6:46 pm 6:46 PM

The note series have always had august/september launch.

wpDiscuz