Apple, at its keynote event yesterday, has unveiled the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Pay and Apple Watch. If you were thinking about purchasing the iPhone 6, think again. You might be missing out on some features which are exclusive to the iPhone 6 Plus.
The iPhone 6 Plus is a proper phablet with a 5.5-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels with shatter-proof 2.5D. It has the same 1.4GHz dual-core A8 SoC with 25 percent faster CPU performance and 50 percent faster graphical performance. There’s 1GB of RAM and 16/64/128GB of storage. Just like the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus comes with an 8MP camera with true-tone flash and phase-detection auto-focus. The front-facing 1.2MP camera can record 720p videos and click HDR images for better selfies in tricky lighting conditions.
It features the dual-band gigabit Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/b/g/n with Wi-Fi Hotspot, AirPlay and AirDrop. Bluetooth 4.0 LE and NFC connectivity can be used to connect with the Apple Watch. The device also features a motion co-processor which is dubbed as the M8. It integrates accelerometer, 9-axis gyroscope and a barometer which helps it measure a lot of motion related data. This data is used in health related features of the iOS 8. The iPhone 6 Plus makes use of the larger 5.5-inch screen to hide a larger 2800 mAh battery. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus would be available in India on October 17 as per the information on Apple India’s official website.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Specifications
- 5.5-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD display, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 401 ppi, shatter-proof glass, oleophobic coating
- Apple iOS 8 operating system, Siri, iCloud Drive, Dual Pane Apps
- 1.4GHz dual-core Apple A8 processor (ARM v8), PowerVR GX6650 GPU, 1GB RAM
- 16/64/128GB internal storage
- 8MP iSight primary camera, phase-detection autofocus, OIS, True-Tone LED flash
- 1080p video recording @ 30/60 fps, slow-motion 720p video recording @ 120/240 fps, Time Lapse videos
- 1.2MP front-facing secondary camera, HDR, burst mode, 720p video recording
- Nano SIM card slot, Cat. 4 4G LTE (20 Bands), GLONASS A-GPS
- dual-band Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Hotspot, AirPlay, Bluetooth v4.0 LE, AirDrop, NFC, lightning port
- Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, gyroscope, barometer, compass
- 2800 mAh battery (unconfirmed), 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm, 172 grams
So how exactly is the iPhone 6 Plus different from the iPhone 6? Well, the iPhone 6 Plus features OIS (optical image stabilisation) in its camera sensor which is absent in the iPhone 6. It helps in clicking blur-free images and smoother videos. It also helps in capturing clearer HDR images, better images in low-light conditions and better panorama shots.
The iPhone 6 Plus has a huge improvement in battery life when compared to the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6. Just have a look at its battery life while listening to music, 3G talk-time and pretty much everything. If you were not impressed by the battery life on the iPhone 5S, you won’t be satisfied with the iPhone 6 either.
Also, thanks to larger screen, Apple were able to provide dual-pane applications in the iPhone 6 Plus through iOS 8. Whenever you tilt the phone into landscape, the iPhone 6 Plus turns the app into dual-pane mode, just like what you are used to in the iPad. You can also view the home screen in landscape mode on the iPhone 6 Plus but the same isn’t possible in the iPhone 6. Also, when the keyboard is used in the landscape mode, the iPhone 6 Plus shows extra symbols and text related functions like cut/copy/paste along with the back button on the keyboard itself. All these things would save you a lot of time.
These are the primary features in the iPhone 6 Plus which you would not want to miss, especially after dropping huge amount of cash when buying an iPhone.