Apple, at its keynote event yesterday, has unveiled the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Pay and Apple Watch. If you were thinking about purchasing the iPhone 6, think again. You might be missing out on some features which are exclusive to the iPhone 6 Plus.
The iPhone 6 Plus is a proper phablet with a 5.5-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels with shatter-proof 2.5D. It has the same 1.4GHz dual-core A8 SoC with 25 percent faster CPU performance and 50 percent faster graphical performance. There’s 1GB of RAM and 16/64/128GB of storage. Just like the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus comes with an 8MP camera with true-tone flash and phase-detection auto-focus. The front-facing 1.2MP camera can record 720p videos and click HDR images for better selfies in tricky lighting conditions.
It features the dual-band gigabit Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/b/g/n with Wi-Fi Hotspot, AirPlay and AirDrop. Bluetooth 4.0 LE and NFC connectivity can be used to connect with the Apple Watch. The device also features a motion co-processor which is dubbed as the M8. It integrates accelerometer, 9-axis gyroscope and a barometer which helps it measure a lot of motion related data. This data is used in health related features of the iOS 8. The iPhone 6 Plus makes use of the larger 5.5-inch screen to hide a larger 2800 mAh battery. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus would be available in India on October 17 as per the information on Apple India’s official website.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Specifications
- 5.5-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD display, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 401 ppi, shatter-proof glass, oleophobic coating
- Apple iOS 8 operating system, Siri, iCloud Drive, Dual Pane Apps
- 1.4GHz dual-core Apple A8 processor (ARM v8), PowerVR GX6650 GPU, 1GB RAM
- 16/64/128GB internal storage
- 8MP iSight primary camera, phase-detection autofocus, OIS, True-Tone LED flash
- 1080p video recording @ 30/60 fps, slow-motion 720p video recording @ 120/240 fps, Time Lapse videos
- 1.2MP front-facing secondary camera, HDR, burst mode, 720p video recording
- Nano SIM card slot, Cat. 4 4G LTE (20 Bands), GLONASS A-GPS
- dual-band Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Hotspot, AirPlay, Bluetooth v4.0 LE, AirDrop, NFC, lightning port
- Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, gyroscope, barometer, compass
- 2800 mAh battery (unconfirmed), 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm, 172 grams
So how exactly is the iPhone 6 Plus different from the iPhone 6? Well, the iPhone 6 Plus features OIS (optical image stabilisation) in its camera sensor which is absent in the iPhone 6. It helps in clicking blur-free images and smoother videos. It also helps in capturing clearer HDR images, better images in low-light conditions and better panorama shots.
The iPhone 6 Plus has a huge improvement in battery life when compared to the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6. Just have a look at its battery life while listening to music, 3G talk-time and pretty much everything. If you were not impressed by the battery life on the iPhone 5S, you won’t be satisfied with the iPhone 6 either.
Also, thanks to larger screen, Apple were able to provide dual-pane applications in the iPhone 6 Plus through iOS 8. Whenever you tilt the phone into landscape, the iPhone 6 Plus turns the app into dual-pane mode, just like what you are used to in the iPad. You can also view the home screen in landscape mode on the iPhone 6 Plus but the same isn’t possible in the iPhone 6. Also, when the keyboard is used in the landscape mode, the iPhone 6 Plus shows extra symbols and text related functions like cut/copy/paste along with the back button on the keyboard itself. All these things would save you a lot of time.
These are the primary features in the iPhone 6 Plus which you would not want to miss, especially after dropping huge amount of cash when buying an iPhone.
Computer science engineer turned technology blogger. Following consumer electronics industry closely from 2006, he can now predict pretty much where the market is heading. He has a dream to own Android, Windows Phone and iOS smartphones all at the same time.