After dozens of leaks, rumours and speculations, Apple iPhone 6 was launched yesterday. Apple has increased the screen size, the iPhone 6 features a 4.7-inch IPS LCD display, dual-core Apple A8 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/64/128GB of storage, 8MP iSight camera, 1.2MP front-facing camera, 4G LTE connectivity, NFC and runs on iOS 8 operating system.
Apple iPhone 6 Specifications
- 4.7-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD display, 1334 x 750 pixels, 326 ppi, shatter-proof glass, oleophobic coating
- Apple iOS 8 operating system, Siri, iCloud Drive,
- 1.4GHz dual-core Apple A8 processor (ARM v8), PowerVR GX6650 GPU, 1GB RAM
- 16/64/128GB internal storage
- 8MP iSight primary camera, phase-detection autofocus, True-Tone LED flash
- 1080p video recording @ 30/60 fps, slow-motion 720p video recording @ 120/240 fps, Time Lapse videos
- 1.2MP front-facing secondary camera, HDR, burst mode, 720p video recording
- Nano SIM card slot, Cat. 4 4G LTE (20 Bands), GLONASS A-GPS
- dual-band Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Hotspot, AirPlay, Bluetooth v4.0 LE, AirDrop, NFC, lightning port
- Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, gyroscope, barometer, compass
- 1810 mAh battery, 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm, 129 grams
The 4.7-inch display on the Apple iPhone 6 has relatively wider viewing angles and a resolution of 1334 x 750 pixels. The display is protected by a shatter-proof glass and resists fingerprints using the oleophobic coating. It features a curved design and the buttons have been shifted to the right hand side for better reach of the fingers.
Apple’s new flagship smartphone is powered by a 1.4GHz dual-core Apple A8 processor and Apple claims that it has a 25% faster CPU and 50% faster GPU (PowerVR GX6650) when compared to the iPhone 5S. Apple has stuck to 1GB of RAM but the storage has been upped to 128GB.
As opposed to the rumours, the camera has a resolution stayed at 8MP but it has bigger pixels and Apple has thrown in phase-detection autofocus for faster focussing speed, just like the Galaxy S5, LG G3 and the Galaxy Note 4. The device still can’t record 4K videos but it can record full HD 1080p videos at 60 fps. Slow motion video recording ability, which were introduced with the iPhone 5S has been enhanced. Now the slow-motion HD 720p videos can be recorded at 240 fps. The 1.2MP front-facing camera can be used to capture “killer selfies”, thanks to HDR option and a burst mode. It can even be used to record 720p videos.
For the first time in the world, a smartphone has an ability to connect to 4G LTE networks over 20 bands throughout the world. Apple has also thrown in NFC for Apple Pay, Apple’s own payment system. There’s also Wi-Fi ac/b/g/n for faster connection on the home network. Apple has used an updated motion co-processor which can now even measure relative air-pressure and relative elevation, thanks to the barometer. Apple hasn’t revealed the battery capacity but according to reports, the iPhone 6 has a 1,810 mAh battery. There isn’t much improvement in the battery life when compared to the iPhone 5S.
The Apple iPhone 6 will be available in India on 17th October but the pricing details for the Indian market haven’t been released. Before you get too interested in buying the iPhone 6, you should read about the iPhone 6 Plus which comes with a bigger screen and some other exclusive features.