Oppo has announced that it will officially launch a new high-end smartphone, the Oppo U3, on January 14. It is a phablet with a 5.9-inch display and a focus towards photography. It features a 13-megapixel primary camera with 4K video recording (and a possible 4x optical zoom lens) and a 5-megapixel secondary camera with front-facing LED flash.
Oppo U3 specifications
- 5.9-inch IPS LCD display, 1920 x 1080 pixels, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Color OS (based on Android operating system)
- MediaTek MT6752 SOC, 1.7GHz octa-core Cortex A53 CPU, Mali-T760 MP2 GPU @ 700 MHz, 2GB RAM
- 16GB internal memory and a microSD card slot
- 13-megapixel primary camera, autofocus, LED flash, and 4K video recording
- 5-megapixel secondary camera with a front-facing LED flash
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Bluetooth v4.0 + LE, A-GPS, microUSB v2.0 port and 3.5mm headphone jack
- AK4961 audio chip
It features a slim body with thin bezels and a patterned back. Other features include a 64-bit octa-core processor in the form of MediaTek MT6752, coupled with 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage. There's a microSD card slot for storage expansion and 4G LTE for faster connectivity. It runs Color OS, which is based on Android. However, it is not clear whether it is running Android 4.4 KitKat or Android 5.0 Lollipop, though the latter seems unlikely. As seen in the Find 7 and the N3, Oppo usually focusses more on camera quality, build materials as well as the audio quality in its mid-range and high-end smartphones.
There is no information about the pricing of the Oppo U3, so we'll have to wait till January 14 for the official launch to know more details about the product and its pricing.