Xiaomi has already sent out invitations for a January 15 event, where it will launch a new smartphone. There were rumours that the Chinese smartphone giant will launch the next-generation flagship smartphone, the Mi5. But, as per the latest reports, Xiaomi will launch the successor to the Redmi Note. The popular leakster @upleaks, which has a decent track record, has tweeted the possible specifications of the Redmi Note 2. Bundle that with the product page on OppoMart (a popular online retailer in China), and we think that the leaked information about the device will most probably be correct.
The Redmi Note 2 might feature a 5.7-inch screen with a resolution to 1920 x 1080 pixels and a 2.5D curved protection glass. The device is expected to feature a design similar to that of the Mi 4 with a glass back, and will be touted as the one to have the “world’s first curved glass body.” The Redmi Note 2 might feature a 64-bit octa-core Snapdragon 615 processor, 2GB RAM, a 13-megapixel camera at the rear, and a 5-megapixel camera up front. It might be available in two storage variants; 16GB and 32GB, with an option to expand the storage using a microSD card slot. It is expected to run on MIUI v6 based on Android 4.4 KitKat/5.0 Lollipop. As per the information in the tweet, the Redmi Note 2 will feature 4G LTE connectivity.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 specifications
- 5.7-inch IPS LCD display, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- MIUI v6 (based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 chipset, 64-bit octa-core Cortex A53 CPU, Adreno 405 GPU, and 2GB RAM
- 16/32GB ROM, microSD card slot
- 13-megapixel primary camera (Sony IMX214 sensor), autofocus, dual-tone LED flash, 1080p video recording
- 5-megapixel secondary camera
- dual-band Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Bluetooth v4.0, microUSB v2.port and 3.5mm headphone jack
- Dual Micro SIM card slots, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz; WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100MHz, FDD LTE: 1800/2100/2600MHz
- 3,600 mAh battery
— Upleaks (@upleaksTR) January 10, 2015
The Redmi Note 2 might be priced at $249 (approx. Rs 15,000), but we believe the final price would be somewhat lower than this. The device will be going up against the likes of Yu Yureka and Lenovo A6000 when it launches in India. We expect its price to be around Rs 10,000-12,000 mark in India after its official launch in the country.