Sony India has announced its latest flagship smartphone- the Sony Xperia XZ Premium, and it is the first smartphone with Snapdragon 835 SoC to land in India. The highlights of the phone are the display and the rear camera. Sony has announced the pricing of the phone as well. At Rs. 59,990, the phone will go against the likes of Samsung Galaxy S8 and HTC U11 launching later this month.
Coming to the first highlight in the Xperia XZ Premium, it features the world’s first 4K HDR display on any smartphone. The XZ Premium has a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, carrying a pixel density of insane 807 PPI.
The Second highlight of the phone is its camera. It is the same camera setup seen on the Xperia XZs released last month with a 19MP Motion Eye sensor that can capture slow motion videos of 960 fps. The rear camera also has support for Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS). Sony has added a 13MP selfie camera in the XZ Premium, which is also a wide-angle sensor.
The phone also packs top-end hardware. As said earlier, the XZ Premium is the first smartphone in India to launch with Snapdragon 835 SoC with a 2.45GHz octa-core CPU. The SoC is paired with just 4GB of RAM and 64GB of onboard storage. The native storage can be expanded up to 256GB via microSD card.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium Key Specifications
- Display: 5.5-inch 4K HDR display with 3840 x 2160 pixels resolution and 807 PPI pixel density
- Hardware: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC, 4GB of RAM, and Adreno 540 GPU
- Storage: 64GB internal storage with support for microSD card slot accepting 256GB SD card
- Rear Camera: 19MP Motion Eye Rear Camera with OIS, and Triple Sensing technology; 960fps slow-motion video recording
- Front-Facing Camera: 13MP Wide-Angle Camera
- Connectivity: 4G LTE Cat. 16 Gigabit LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11/b/g/n/ac, GPS, and NFC
- Battery: 3230mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
- Colours: Luminous Chrome and Deep Sea Black
- Dimensions:156 mm x 77 mm x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 192 grams
- Price: Rs. 59,990; Available from June 12
With the Snapdragon 835 chip, the XZ Premium brings 4G Cat. 16 Gigabit LTE modem for faster upload and download speeds with the 4G network. The device also has Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11/b/g/n/ac, NFC, and USB Type-C port. The fingerprint sensor is embedded into the power button of the phone.
The Xperia XZ Premium runs on Android Nougat out-of-the-box and has a smaller 3230mAh battery. The device comes with support for Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 3.0 technology and Sony promises 60 percent charge in just 45 minutes. Further, the device is water and dust resistant as well with the IP68 rating.
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium will be up for sale in the country from June 12. The Japanese company has started taking preorders for the phone across all the offline channels and via Amazon India. The company is also offering a free Sony SRS-XB20 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker worth Rs. 8,990 for the customers who prebooks the phone.