We knew that something was cooking at Motorola when they teased announcement of a device via a hand-delivered package last week. Today, Motorola has kept its promise and delivered a box containing the new Moto E (2nd Gen). The second generation of the entry-level Moto E boasts of better hardware but it also promises to be affordable at the same time.
The Motorola Moto E (2nd Gen) comes with a slightly larger 4.5-inch display and features a 5-megapixel primary camera with autofocus along with a VGA secondary camera. Under the hood, a lot has changed (at least for the 4G LTE variant) as the new Moto E is now powered by a quad-core 64-bit Snapdragon 410 processor paired with 1GB RAM. Another good bit is that the Moto E (2nd Gen) offers 8GB of internal storage as compared to the measly 4GB in its predecessor. However, the 3G variant still sticks to entry-level Snapdragon 200 chipset and Adreno 302 GPU. There's 2,390 mAh battery powering the device, and Motorola is claiming that the device will last 24 hours with mixed usage after a full charge.
Design wise, the Moto E looks identical to its predecessor barring the fact that it has a single chrome grill on top for the speakers instead of two chrome grills on either ends. The phone will come in black and white colour with options for removable Motorola Band and Motorola Grip Shells in various colours. Overall, the design doesn't look as cheap as the previous generation Moto E, and removing the chrome strip has helped a lot in improving the looks of the device.
Motorola Moto E (2nd Gen) Specifications
- 4.5-inch IPS LCD display, qHD 540x960 (245 ppi), Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Anti-smudge coating and Water Resistant Coating
- Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system
- 4G LTE variant: Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor, 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU, Adreno 306 GPU
- 3G variant: Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 processor, 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU, Adreno 302 GPU
- 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM, microSD card slot
- 5 MP primary camera, autofocus, f/ 2.2 aperture, Auto HDR, Panorama, 720p video recording, and slow-motion videos; VGA front-facing camera
- Micro-SIM, Wi-Fi b/g/n Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, microUSB, and 3.5mm headset jack
- Accelerometer (x2), ambient-light sensor, proximity sensor, and Sensor Hub
- 2390 mAh battery; 129.9 x 66.8 x 12.3 mm; 145 grams
- Colours: Black and White, removable Motorola Band (Golden Yellow, Turquoise, Blue, Raspberry, Purple, Red), Motorola Grip Shells (Golden Yellow, Charcoal, Turquoise, Blue, Raspberry)
Motorola has also added the Quick Capture feature just like in the Moto X which lets you capture photos at a twist of your wrist. The Moto E2 also features the 'Active Screen display' that will beam notifications even when the screen is off. The new Moto E will retail in both 4G LTE and 3G variants, with the LTE 4G variant priced at $149 (approx. Rs. 9,000 ). We feel that the Moto E (2nd Gen) will be priced anywhere between Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 7,500 in the Indian market. Motorola is expected to release the device soon in the Indian market.