Egypt Sells 9.5 Percent Stake in Telecom Egypt for USD 121.6 Million

Egypt successfully sells a 9.5 percent stake in Telecom Egypt, raising over 3.75 billion Egyptian pounds. The sale signifies Egypt's commitment to economic reform and meeting foreign debt obligations. The move opens doors for increased private sector participation and strengthens Egypt's fiscal position.

Highlights

  • Egypt Generates USD 121.6 Million from Telecom Egypt Stake Sale.
  • Sale signals commitment to economic reform and meeting foreign debt obligations.
  • Government reduces ownership in Telecom Egypt to 70 percent.

Follow Us

Egypt Sells 9.5 Percent Stake in Telecom Egypt for USD 121.6 Million

In a significant step towards implementing its economic reform program, Egypt has successfully sold a 9.5% stake in state-run telecommunications company Telecom Egypt. The sale raised over 3.75 billion Egyptian pounds ($121.6 million) and serves as a clear message to investors that the country is committed to pursuing its economic transformation agenda.




Also Read: Egypt to Sell 10% Government Stake in Telecom Egypt: Report

Financial Boost for Egypt

The proceeds from the stake sale will help Egypt meet its forthcoming foreign debt obligations, providing much-needed financial support during these critical months. The sale of state assets has become a crucial strategy for Egypt to generate funds and foster economic stability, according to multiple media reports.

Telecom Egypt Stake Sale

Telecom Egypt, the first integrated telecom operator in the country and one of the largest subsea cable operators in the region, has been identified as a strategic asset for privatization. This marks the second sale of state assets since Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly's pledge on April 29 to proceed with the sales program, aiming to sell assets worth $2 billion by the end of June.

Also Read: Telecom Egypt Secures Additional Spectrum in 1800 MHz Band

The government divested 162.2 million shares, equivalent to a 9.5% stake in Telecom Egypt, as stated in the filing submitted to the Egyptian stock exchange. The shares were priced at 23.11 Egyptian pounds per share. As part of the sale process, the government will offer a 0.5% stake for purchase by company employees until May 25, 2023.

Government Ownership Reduction

This divestiture aligns with Egypt's commitment to reduce the state's involvement in the economy and create space for private companies to play a more significant role. According to reports, It falls under the $3 billion, 46-month financial support package signed with the International Monetary Fund in December, which includes economic reforms aimed at fostering a favourable business environment and attracting foreign investment.

Also Read: Telecom Egypt and Grid Telecom to Build Subsea System Connecting Egypt and Greece

Opening Doors for Private Sector

The sale of the Telecom Egypt stake will reduce the government's ownership to 70%, down from the previous 80%, while the remaining 20% will be available for trading on the Egyptian Exchange. This move not only strengthens the country's fiscal position but also opens doors for increased private sector participation in Egypt's telecommunications sector.

Reported By

Telecom Analyst

Passionately following the Indian #Telecom Industry for over a decade from Business, Consumer and a Technical perspective. My primary focus area is Consumer & Digital Experience.

Recent Comments

Faraz :

"It is not because the telco doesn't deliver SIMs" It is precisely because of that. In my near local store,…

Breaking: BSNL Starts Home Delivery of SIM Cards, Get Details…

Faraz :

I did not understand "designed to allocate numbering resources for 750 million telephone connections" part. 9xxx series itself can have…

TRAI Issues Consultation Paper on Revision of National Numbering Plan

Bhagwan Choudhari (Bhagwan Advocate) :

It is good achievement

Breaking: BSNL Starts Home Delivery of SIM Cards, Get Details…

TheAndroidFreak :

I think they will charge 499 for 2GB/day plan. I think there will be bulk data starting with 300-500GB per…

Breaking: Bharti Airtel Launches New Rs 395 Prepaid Plan: Details

Faraz :

More like "Airtel already made first move in tarrif hike" by making calling only plan cost 200+ a month. Now…

Breaking: Bharti Airtel Launches New Rs 395 Prepaid Plan: Details

Load More
Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments