Mittal Family Ready to Take a Bigger Pie of Bharti Airtel

Both the Mittal family as well as the Singtel group own a stake in Bharti Airtel directly and indirectly through a promoter entity. So, first of all, there’s Bharti Telecom which holds 35.85% of Bharti Airtel. The Mittal family owns a 50.56% stake in Bharti Telecom while the remaining 49.44% is owned by the Singtel group.

Highlights

  • Mittal family, a promoter in Bharti Airtel has arranged for raising around $2 billion (around Rs 15,500 crore) via offshore/onshore credit lines with the help of around six banks.
  • Singtel will be selling a small portion of its stake in Bharti Airtel to the Mittal family.
  • Singtel has been a promoter in Bharti Airtel for decades now.

Follow Us

Mittal Family

Mittal family, a promoter in Bharti Airtel has arranged for raising around $2 billion (around Rs 15,500 crore) via offshore/onshore credit lines with the help of around six banks. Singtel will be selling a small portion of its stake in Bharti Airtel to the Mittal family.




According to an ET report, the Mittal family is talking with banks such as JP Morgan, BNP Paribas, Citibank, Bank of America, and Standard Chartered for helping with raising liquid funds for the stake purchase. But the final terms with either of these banks are not firm yet but the proposed sale of the stake in Bharti Airtel by the Singtel group to the Mittal family will be done soon.

Breakdown of Holdings of Mittal Family and Singtel Group in Bharti Airtel

Note that both the Mittal family as well as the Singtel group own a stake in Bharti Airtel directly and indirectly through a promoter entity. So, first of all, there’s Bharti Telecom which holds 35.85% of Bharti Airtel. The Mittal family owns a 50.56% stake in Bharti Telecom while the remaining 49.44% is owned by the Singtel group.

Then, the Mittal family and the Singtel group also own 6.04% and 14% of Bharti Airtel directly. This takes the final stakeholding of the Mittal family and the Singtel group to 24.13% and 31.72% in Bharti Airtel.

Singtel has been a promoter in Bharti Airtel for decades now. As per the current market cap of Rs 3.81 lakh crore, if the Singtel family sells $2 billion worth of stake to the Mittal family, it would result in 4% of Singtel’s holdings gown down. That would most likely make the Mittal family the biggest stakeholder in the company.

Airtel’s performance off late has improved and the analysts see the business of the telco booming in the coming years with uptrends in the overall revenues and profits. Airtel's average revenue per user (ARPU) figure is also the highest in the country which means that the telco is earning the most out of each of its customers among all the competitors.

Reported By

Editor in Chief

Tanay is someone with whom you can chill and talk about technology and life. A fitness enthusiast and cricketer, he loves to read and write.

Recent Comments

Faraz :

That is good enough speed as per 4G standard, and you get cheaper plan. You could dial *#0011# and show…

BSNL 4G Services to be Rolled Out Soon in Indore:…

ansarshaikh :

Tested BSNL 4G, on Band 28 coverage is best, speed also 10mbps to 40mbps with 10mHz

BSNL 4G Services to be Rolled Out Soon in Indore:…

Faraz :

Yes, But some investment is better than none. Also as said by CEO, these funds and 18k crore FPO money…

Vodafone Idea Raises Rs 5400 Crore from Anchor Investors

Faraz :

IMO, Airtel only needs to buy sub GHz ( like B8/B5 ) to have atleast 10 MHz in that. &…

Airtel Hits 3 Million 5G Users Milestone in Mumbai

Faraz :

Yes I like your detailed reply. I have noticed same in Kolkata circle. Under many metro train station, Jio 4G…

Jio Leads Wireline Subscriber Addition in February 2024: TRAI

Load More
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments