The GSM operators in the country added 1.70 million new users in July, a 0.25 percent increase from the previous month, taking the total to 679.05 million, with Airtel topping the charts in subscriber additions.
Airtel, which is also the country’s largest telecom operator, gained the maximum of 1.50 million subscribers during the month, taking its total to 188.80 million. Vodafone India added 1.20 million customers in July, taking its subscriber base to 154.91 million.
Idea Cellular added 0.45 million new subscribers during the month taking its total subscriber base to 117.62 million. Uninor, which lost its licences following the 2G telecom scam, witnessed erosion of more than one million subscribers during the reporting month. Uninor had a total user of 44.49 million.
Videocon, another telecom firm that lost its licences in the 2G telecom scam, also witnessed its subscriber addition eroding during the month under review. The GSM operator lost 0.41 million users, pulling its total subscriber base down to 5.16 million.
State run operator BSNL did not submit its subscriber stats where as MTNL lost 90,000 users during the month, with its total user base falling to 5.22 million.
A quick reckoner on July 2012 Subscriber addition
1) All India GSM cellular subscriber figures as of July 2012: 679.05 million.
2) Subscriber Net additions during July 2012: 1.70 million with 0.25% increase from previous month.
3) Maximum GSM Subs: Airtel – 188.81 million.
4) Maximum GSM Subs for the Circle: UP ( E ) – 58.96 million.
5) Maximum GSM Subs Net addition in the month of July by : Airtel – 1.50 million.
6) Maximum GSM Subs Net addition in the month of July in : Karnataka- 650,060.
7) Amongst all the circles A Circle is the fastest growing circle, it has grown at a rate of 0.27% and forms 37.63% of the total additions during July 2012.
|Group Company wise % market share (Subscribers) – July 2012|
|Sl. No.||Name of Company||Total Sub Figures||Additions in July 2012||% Market Share||% Growth over previous month|