Google had announced that it will regularly update Android Wear and looks like it is keeping up to its promise. Google has released a new update to the Android Wear which brings some new functionalities such as GPS compatibility, offline music playback, and some new fitness related features.
Android Wear 4.4W2 Features
- Support for GPS chips in Android Wear based smartwatches. Now you can track your location or measure your running or jogging distances.
- Offline music playback lets you load your favourite music tracks on your Android Wear smartwatch’s internal memory and play them back through Bluetooth headphones.
- New categories for Android Wear supported apps in the Google Play Store. You can find compatible Health and Fitness Apps as well as Travel and Local apps very easily.
- Bug fixes and speed improvements.
The Sony Smartwatch 3 would be the first Android Wear based smartwatch to include a GPS chip. It’s square Transflective LCD display is said to be power efficient yet bright enough to be easily visible in bright sunlight.
Sony Smartwatch 3 Specifications
- 1.6-inch Transflective LCD display, 320 x 320 pixels, IP68 certified for dust and water-resistance
- Android Wear 4.4W2 operating system (compatible with Jelly Bean v4.3 or upwards and Bluetooth 4.0 LE)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC, 1.2GHz quad-core ARM A7 CPU, and 512MB of RAM
- 4GB of internal storage space
- Bluetooth v4.0, NFC, and GPS
- Accelerometer, Gyro, Ambient-Light Sensor, and Compass
- 420 mAh battery for 2 days of usage
Except the GPS functionality, other features from this update would be available to existing smartwatches including LG G Watch, Motorola Moto 360, Samsung Gear Live, Asus ZenWatch, and the LG G Watch R.
Computer science engineer turned technology blogger. Following consumer electronics industry closely from 2006, he can now predict pretty much where the market is heading. He has a dream to own Android, Windows Phone and iOS smartphones all at the same time.