Samsung has finally taken the wraps off the Gear S2 series of smartwatches, there are three variants — The Gear S2, Gear S2 3G and Gear S2 classic. In the year 2014, Samsung announced just one version of the Gear S with 3G connectivity. The Gear S2 and Gear S2 classic are powered by a 1GHz Dual-Core Exynos 3250 processor and the Gear S2 3G is powered by a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 processor.
All the three newly launched variants come with a 1.2-inch Circular Super AMOLED display (resolution of 360×360 pixels) with rotating bezels, and run Tizen based wearable platform. The devices also feature Home and Back buttons to enable notifications and applications access. The Gear S2 3G also features built-in e-SIM, which allows users to make and receive calls independently without the need to connect to any external device.
The Gear S2 comes with a Silicone band that offers contemporary design while the Gear S2 classic features Black finish with genuine leather band encompassing it, and hence giving it a premium look and feel. Both the smartwatches have IP67 certification for water and dust resistance, and in terms of connectivity, both the devices support Bluetooth 4.1 LE and NFC for payments. Samsung has also revealed that it is working closely with the partners to offer a diverse range of watch faces and bands.
Moreover, the Gear S2 and Gear S2 3G will be available in Dark Gray case with a Dark Gray band and Silver case with a White band. On the other hand, the Gear S2 classic will be available in Black case with a Leather band. Samsung is expected to display these smartwatches at the IFA sometime later this week.
Samsung Gear S2 / Gear S2 classic / Gear S2 3G Specifications
- 1.2-inch Circular Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 360×360 pixels
- 1GHz Dual-Core Exynos 3250 processor for Gear S2 and S2 classic
- 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 processor for Gear S2 3G
- 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of internal storage
- Tizen-powered wearable platform
- 2G, 3G, SIM card calling (only in Gear S2 3G)
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, and NFC
- 250mAh Li-ion battery in the Gear S2 and S2 classic with wireless charging
- 300mAh Li-ion battery in the Gear S2 3G with wireless charging