5G and 4G Face Close Competition in User Demand

The use cases developed for 5G so far suggest that they are primarily useful for enterprises only. 5G isn’t directly useful for consumers as it might be expensive as well as unnecessary if 4G is already offering more than 50 Mbps speed. 4G is sufficient for the smartphone needs that users have today. 5G would play an important role in the proliferation of Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices.

Highlights

  • 5G is yet to officially arrive in India.
  • 51.7% users in the survey said that they would prefer 4G over 5G.
  • 2021 saw many new affordable 5G smartphones making it to the market.

Follow Us

5G vs 4G

5G is yet to officially arrive in India. But the smartphone manufacturers have already started selling smartphones with 5G connectivity support. 2021 saw many new affordable 5G smartphones making it to the market. It is still quite a bit of time for the 5G networks to launch in India, and there’s no saying whether the telcos will right away offer prepaid or postpaid services with 5G to the users or only reserve the 5G networks for the enterprises initially.




That said, there’s no denying that 4G networks will still play the role of dominant network technology for the next few years. Ericsson’s Mobility Report for 2021 suggests that 4G will be in India till 2027 at least.

51.7% Users Said they Need 4G

5G

Upon a survey conducted by TelecomTalk with over 524 users participating, it was found that over 51.7% of users said that they would prefer 4G over 5G. The remaining 48.3% of users said that they need 5G now.

The use cases developed for 5G so far suggest that they are primarily useful for enterprises only. 5G isn’t directly useful for consumers as it might be expensive as well as unnecessary if 4G is already offering more than 50 Mbps speed.

4G is sufficient for the smartphone needs that users have today. 5G would play an important role in the proliferation of Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices and a more connected world. Normal consumers wouldn’t direct require 5G, at least for some time now. The 4G networks, if they provide over 50 Mbps speed, are more than enough for the normal smartphone consumer for data and voice calling needs.

The survey results are marginally different from each other, and a few more votes for 5G could have changed the outcome. There are millions of users already who own 5G smartphones. The numbers are only expected to increase as 2022 approaches. With more affordable 5G smartphones coming into the market, more people would want access to 5G devices.

Reported By

Editor in Chief

Tanay is someone with whom you can chill and talk about technology and life. A fitness enthusiast and cricketer, he loves to read and write.

Recent Comments

Shivraj Roy :

i agree with you ,i just got my porting finished from jio to vi ,and its so much better from…

BSNL and Vodafone Idea Continue to Lose Wireless Subscribers: TRAI

. :

Moved to Vi enjoying great network speeds, as Airtel and jio is congested in may area.. Those who need congestion…

BSNL and Vodafone Idea Continue to Lose Wireless Subscribers: TRAI

Krish :

No one will be interested in Vi unless they get it an extremely discounted rate! Even then, the new promoter…

Vi Talks About Fundraising Yet Again, Will the Magic Happen…

Faraz :

Not the first time.. India has been trying since a long time with Pragati OS, Bhar OS and what not..…

Govt Planning to Develop India's Own Smartphone Brand

Rupesh :

I feel they should have added 5G BTS at same pace as they are adding store. But instead they will…

Bharti Airtel Launches 18 New Stores in Hyderabad; Expands in…

Load More
Subscribe
Notify of
9 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments