Samsung has been constantly working on its home baked Tizen operating system. It has now (finally) launched a smartphone running on the Tizen OS; Samsung Z. It has been launched with the hardware specifications that can be pegged as higher mid-range. Its global roll-out will begin in a phased manner in Q3 2014.
Samsung Z Specifications
- 4.8 inch Super AMOLED display, 1280 x 720 pixels
- 2.3 GHz quad-core processor (most likely the Snapdragon 800 but there’s no official word on it)
- 2GB RAM
- Tizen OS 2.2.1
- 16GB internal storage, microSD card slot (up to 64GB)
- 8MP rear camera with LED flash and a 2.1MP front-facing camera
- Infrared Remote, FingerPrint Sensor and Heart-Rate sensor (as found on the Galaxy S5)
- 4G LTE/3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth v4.0 LE, GPS with GLONASS, NFC
- 2600 mAh battery
- Black and Golden colours with faux leather backs
The Samsung Z also takes some software features that were found on the recently released Galaxy S5. It features Download Booster which can combines Wi-Fi and cellular network to boost your download speeds. Its official price hasn’t been announced yet. Although they’ve already released Tizen based fitness trackers, smart watches and even has plans for Tizen powered TVs, Samsung needs even more Tizen powered devices in the ecosystem if it wants to give it a boost or else it will also die like Bada OS one day.