Over the past month or two, Samsung’s Galaxy Android Oreo Beta program has been rolling out multiple incremental Android 8.0 Oreo updates to the Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+ devices. It now seems that Samsung is rolling out its much-awaited Oreo update to the Galaxy Note 8, as some users with Exynos Galaxy Note 8 variants has started receiving the update.
Although there’s no official confirmation from Samsung regarding the Note 8 Oreo update, a number of users on Reddit have posted that they have received updates on their Note 8 (N950F) Exynos variants. The firmware build number for the new update is R16NW.N950FXXU2CRA1.DM.
Unlike the Galaxy S8, S8+ beta updates, it seems the Galaxy Note 8 Exynos variants are getting the official stable variant of Oreo update. This means users in select regions where Samsung sells Exynos powered devices will only receive the update. For the unaware, India is one among the countries where Samsung is selling Exynos versions of its flagship smartphones.
The Oreo update for Galaxy Note 8 brings several new changes to the device. You can check out the detailed changelog as revealed by one Reddit user:
- Update to the keyboard
- Picture-in-picture support
- App-specific long press menus from launcher
- Secure folder can be set to stay unlocked until the screen goes to sleep
- Autofill API support (with bio-metrics) for all apps, and browser
- Colored media notifications
- Notification categories
- Customization options for notification badges
- Keyboard uses gify for gif search support
- More edge lighting options
- Ability to ONLY view Samsung cloud items
- Ability to backup Samsung secure folder in Samsung cloud
- Bluetooth, high-quality audio codecs
- Manage passwords of Samsung and third-party apps with Samsung pass
In addition, it appears Samsung is planning to roll out official Oreo update for its Galaxy S8, S8+ soon enough. Recently, a report pointed out that the final build of Android Oreo update was spotted for the European, Asian (India and Singapore), Korean and Global versions of Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.
In order to manually check the update on your device, go to device Settings >> Software Update >> and select Download Updates manually option. The update for Note 8, S8, S8+ may, however, roll out in stages, so you would only receive it once it rolls out in your region.
Passionately following the Indian #Telecom Industry for over a decade from Business, Consumer and a Technical perspective. My primary focus area is Consumer & Digital Experience.