Leading mobile phone maker Nokia has today announced the availability of Nokia Browser 2.0, a major update dedicated to Nokia Series 40 devices. Nokia claims that the new version reduces data consumption by up to 90%, meaning that consumers can enjoy faster and cheaper internet access. Web sites load up to three times faster in comparison to devices without cloud-accelerated browsing and consumers will also benefit from a number of other enhanced capabilities.
From the first look, consumers are easily able to discover new web content and enjoy one-click access to top, local sites via the Nokia Browser’s inviting and intuitive start page. We have optimized the browser to enable users to easily stay connected with friends and family at the touch of a button as well as to share files and links across social networks. The new and improved Download Manager helps consumers to manage external content easily, saving music, video or pictures on a memory card, while surfing the internet.
The update supports all forms of Series 40: Touch, QWERTY and Non-Touch, including the Nokia Asha range, as well as popular devices such as the Nokia C3-00, Nokia C2-03 and Nokia X3-02. The update will be pre-loaded on some current and all future Nokia Series 40 devices, while for existing users the update arrives as a free, optional over-the-air download. New users can download it from the Nokia Store. The browser is available in 87 languages in over 200 countries and territories.
Nokia Browser 2.0 makes use of cloud-based servers which adapt standard web pages so that they perform better on Nokia Series 40 devices. Since web pages are compressed and cached in the cloud, end users can access web sites in a manner which is faster and requires significantly less data to be sent over their mobile network. For pay-per-use contracts this will result in more cost-effective browsing, while users on an operator data plan will be able to do more web surfing without exceeding their monthly usage limits.
New in the Nokia Browser 2.0
1. Faster browsing with speed improvements throughout the experience.
2. Easier access to new and popular Web apps to enable a richer and more engaging internet experience.
3. New, intuitive user interface offers one click access to search, most popular content and most valuable features.
4. Media handling enhancements provide an easier way to enjoy video, audio and images. Users can download in background mode while continuing to browse the web or queue downloads for later when performance or rates are better. Downloads can be saved to memory cards or phone memory for later offline viewing or listening.
5. One-click share on Social Networks by remembering Facebook and/or Twitter login to easily share any page URL and comments from your browser.
Nokia Series 40 device users can download the Nokia Browser 2.0 at: http://store.nokia.com/content/51924