Google has just lifted the veil from its newest offerings in the Nexus line of devices namely the HTC manufactured Nexus 9 tablet and Motorola manufactured Nexus 6 phablet alongside the launch of its much awaited Android 5.0 named Lollipop (Following its tradition of naming operating systems alphabetically after a sweet dessert). This announcement comes in just one day prior to Apple’s scheduled press event where it will supposedly showcase its next generation of iPads and Mac’s.
Nexus 6 key specifications, price and availability:
- 5.9-inch, Quad HD 1440 x 2560 resolution, AMOLED display
- Snapdragon 805 quad-core 2.65GHz processor
- 3,220mAh battery
- 13MP camera with OIS and dual LED flash
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Qi wireless charging support
- Water resistant
- 2MP front facing camera
- 4K video capture
- LTE bands (1/3/5/7/8/9/19/20/28/41)
- Dual front-facing stereo speakers
- Internal storage 32GB costs $649 and 64GB comes in at $699 in USA
- Phone will be available for pre order in USA on 29th Oct and start shipping in November. The launch date and price at launch for India has yet to be declared.
Nexus 9 Key specifications, price and availability:
- 8.9 inch screen with 4:3 aspect ratio
- NVIDIA Tegra K1 64-bit dual-core processor at 2.3 GHz
- LTE model uses Qualcomm MDM9625M modem
- Operating system Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Internal memory 16GB and 32GB for Wifi-only, 32GB for LTE
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
- Connectivity- 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX, Wifi 802.11ac
- 8MP back cam and 1.2MP front cam
- Front-facing BoomSound speakers
- Internal memory 16GB version costs $399, 32GB wi-fi only version costs $479 and 32GB LTE version costs $599 in USA.
- Nexus 9 pre order will begin on Oct 17th in USA and will start shipping on 3rd Nov. Again the launch dates and price at launch for India are yet to be declared by google.
Android 5.0 Lollipop key features and availability:
- New 3D material design with tons of new animations
- New style of notifications shade and quick settings toggles
- Fully redesigned lock screen which now displays notifications without having to unlock the device and shortcut to phone dialer and camera app
- Redesigned phone dialer and calculator app
- New 3D card flow animation for app drawer with chrome tabs displaying as individual cards
- New power saving feature
- Do not disturb profile
- Multiple user accounts
- Devices which will ship with Lollipop out of the box are Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
- Devices which will get early update to Android 5.0 are Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- Devices with declared update to Android 5.0 are Moto X (including 2nd gen), Moto G (both LTE and non LTE model) and Moto E. These should get a taste of lollipop in approximately a month from the launch of Androd 5.0
- Other flagship devices of LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony will get the update in the coming months.
Physiotherapist by day and techno buff by evening, Esmail is our very own in-house spectrum specialist. He has a keen eye for the Mobile data and DTH segments.