India is one of the most strategically important markets for Microsoft when it comes to smartphones. It is one of the few markets where the brand actually has a strong fan base and impressive sales in the budget segments. Microsoft is constantly launching budget Lumia handsets globally as well as in India to hold on to the market share it has and eventually improve upon it.
After having recently launched the Lumia 430 in the country, Microsoft will now launch another budget handset in the country. It has just started sending out invites stating for the launch of the Lumia 540 in the country. The smartphone will launch tomorrow in the country and will come with a price tag below the Rs 10,000 mark. The Lumia 540 got itself a global showcase back in April.
We can expect it to be priced between Rs 8,000-9,000 considering the fact that the Lumia 640 is already retailing for Rs 9,999. The budget smartphone is meant to take charge of things from the Lumia 535 and come across as a better device. Let us quickly take a look at what the Lumia 540 has on offer:
Lumia 540 specifications
- 5-inch IPS LCD display, 1280 x 720 pixels resolution, 294 ppi
- Windows Phone 8.1 operating system with Lumia Denim update
- 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 200 processor and 1GB RAM
- 8GB of internal storage, microSD card slot (up to 128GB), and 30GB free Microsoft OneDrive storage
- 8-megapixel camera, autofocus, LED flash, 5-megapixel front-facing camera with wide-angle lens
- Dual-SIM, 3G, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS, Micro-USB port, and headphone jack
- 2,220 mAh battery
It will be available in black, white, cyan and orange colour options. Microsoft has already stated that the smartphone will be upgraded to Windows 10 as and when it rolls out so the smartphone is future ready too. We’ll update you as soon as the company releases details about its pricing.