Micromax has just announced the Canvas Sliver 5 in the country for Rs. 17,999. The company is claiming that it is the thinnest and lightest smartphone ever. The device has a thickness of just 5.1mm from end to end (with no bumps) and weighs just 97 grams. It has an aircraft-grade aluminium frame. Micromax has focussed heavily on the build quality of the device and has opted in for a set of mid-range specifications.
The Canvas Sliver 5 is a 4G LTE enabled device, and has a a 4.8-inch HD AMOLED display. The Canvas Sliver 5 boots Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, and comes with a 64-bit Snapdragon 410 processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, but lacks storage expansion slot. THere’s an 8-megapixel primary camera and a 5-megapixel secondary camera. There’s 4G LTE connectivity and 2,000 mAh battery. It will come with an on-site after-sales care service under which Micromax will pick up your phone for service if there’s any issue with it, and will deliver it back in 7 days. It will be available in black and golden colours.
Micromax Canvas Silver 5 specifications:
- 4.8-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Android 5.0.2 Lollipop operating system
- 64-bit Snapdragon 410 chipset, 1.2GHz quad-core CPU, Adreno 306 GPU, and 2GB DDR3 RAM
- 16GB internal storage (no microSD card slot)
- 8-megapixel rear-facing camera (Sony IMX219 sensor), autofocus, LED flash, 1080p video recording, and Blue Glass filter
- 5-megapixel front-facing camera
- 4G LTE, 3G, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS and single SIM
- 2,000 mAh battery
We think that Micromax has overpriced it. You can get almost the same specifications in the Yu Yuphoria that is priced at just Rs. 7,999. Will you pay Rs. 10,000 extra just for an AMOLED display and a thinner body? I doubt that. Compared to the Yu Yuphoria, the Micromax Canvas Silver 5 has a smaller battery, lacks microSD card slot, and a dual-SIM card slot. You can buy the Xiaomi Mi 4 at the same price, and it comes with much better hardware specifications.
Is Micromax going the Oppo way by overpricing its products just banking on its build quality and thinness? Let us know your comments on the Canvas SIlver 5. Would you buy it?