Google’s Android OS leads today’s smartphone market. We can hardly think of any other OS when talking about smartphones and tablets. Even though iOS has got a substantial following but Android still leads the way. Keeping up with the pace, smartphone makers have also invested an enormous amount of hard work to make Android what it is today.
Manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. have brought significant changes to mobile hardware. Two years ago, who could have thought that smartphones could come with laptop-level of RAMs – 4GB and 6GB. Same goes for camera capabilities such as 4K video recording, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), and much more.
This list covers top 5 Android flagships that you can buy in India. We have not included the Note 7 as it is yet to set its foot in the country. The smartphones mentioned in the list offer performance packed hardware and software. Even though they cost a lot, but the pricing is equivalent of the specifications that one gets when buying these devices.
1. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
The Galaxy S7 edge smartphone comes up as a worthy upgrade over Galaxy S6 edge with better CPU and GPU performance. The device received an overwhelming buyer response, which boosted Samsung‘s revenue as well. The S7 edge is a perfect of mix of high-end software and hardware. A must buy for those who don’t mind spending above 50k on a smartphone. It is the best Android smartphone yet.
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge specifications
- 5.5-inch Quad HD Super always-on AMOLED display with a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels
- Octa-Core Exynos 8890 chipsets paired with 4GB RAM
- 32GB/64GB internal storage, expandable up to 200GB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- IP68 rating for water and dust resistance
- 12MP primary camera with LED Flash, Smart OIS, and 5MP front-facing camera
- Measures 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7mm and Weighs 157 grams
- Hybrid dual-SIM, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, USB 2.0, Fingerprint sensor, NFC
- 3600mAh battery with fast charging
2. HTC 10
HTC launched the HTC 10 smartphone in India, two months ago. It comes with a 5.2-inch Quad HD display, 4GB of RAM, 64GB internal storage (32GB variant will also be available) and a 2.2GHz Snapdragon 820 chipset with Adreno 530 GPU. Also, the internal storage will be expandable up to 2TB via microSD card for both the storage variants. With an impressive set of specs and features, the HTC 10 accounts for a good buy when looking for a great Android smartphone.
HTC 10 Specifications
- 5.2-inch Quad HD Super LCD 5 display (1440 x 2560 pixels) with 2.5D Gorilla Glass
- 64-bit 2.2GHz Snapdragon 820 chipset clubbed with 4GB of RAM and Adreno 530 GPU
- 64GB internal storage, expandable up to 2TB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow with HTC Sense 8.0 UI skin on top
- 12-Ultrapixel rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, OIS and 5MP front-facing camera with OIS
- 4G LTE, 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with GLONASS, NFC, and USB Type-C
- 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
3. OnePlus 3
The OnePlus 3 emerged as the best smartphone by OnePlus. After the disappointing OnePlus 2, the company seems to have given its best to the OnePlus 3. The device comes with top-level specification with an affordable price tag. A great buy for those who want a flagship under 28k.
OnePlus 3 Specifications
- 5.5-inch display 1080p display with Optic AMOLED paired with Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- 6GB of RAM clubbed with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 chipset (two cores clocked at 2.2GHz, and two cores clocked at 1.6GHz) and Adreno 530 GPU
- 64GB (UFS 2.0) non-expandable internal storage
- OxygenOS based on Android 6.0. Marshmallow
- 16MP rear camera with LED flash and 8MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX179 sensor
- Measures 152.7×74.7×7.35mm; Weighs 158 grams
- dual-SIM, 4G LTE with VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C, Fingerprint sensor
- 3000mAh battery
4. LG G5
The LG G5 comes packed in a fluid metal body and a 5.3-inch QHD Quantum “always on” display, which offers a pixel density of 554 ppl that in-turn makes it a bit smaller than the G4’s 5.5-inch display panel. The smartphone is powered by a Snapdragon 820 chipset with 64-bit Kryo cores paired with 4GB of RAM. It is the first device to come with a modular design. A good buy for those who want an innovative design. Not only this, the LG G5 has earned the top spot for its camera performance.
LG G5 Specifications
- 5.3-inch “always-on” Quad HD display with a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels
- 64-bit Kryo cores Snapdragon 820 chipset paired with 4GB of RAM
- 32GB internal storage, expandable up to 2TB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- 16MP and 8MP dual-primary camera and 8MP front-facing camera
- Measures 149.4 x 73.9 x 7.7~8.6mm; and weighs 159 grams
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C, Fingerprint sensor
- 2800mAh (removable) battery clubbed with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
5. Xiaomi Mi 5
The Xiaomi Mi 5 comes with 5.15-inch Full HD display with 1080p resolution and runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow with MIUI 7 on top. The smartphone also features a fingerprint scanner, which is embedded into the Home Button. It sports a 16-megapixel rear camera with features such as 4K video recording functionality, four-axis Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), dual-tone LED flash and PDAF. There is a 4-megapixel selfie camera onboard. The device packs in a solid set of specs along with a competitive price tag of under 25k.
Xiaomi Mi5 Specifications
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based MIUI7
- 5.15-inch Full HD IPS display with 1080p resolution and 2.5D Curved Gorilla Glass 4
- 16MP primary camera, phase-detection autofocus, dual-LED flash, OIS, and 4K video recording
- 4MP secondary camera, 2.0-micron pixels, and 1080p video recording
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC, 64-bit quad-core Kyro CPU; 4GB RAM and 128GB internal storage
- Fingerprint Scanner and Water-Resistant
- dual-SIM, 4G LTE, VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth v4.1, IR Port, NFC, USB Type-C port and GPS (with A-GPS, GLONASS)
- Measures 144.55×69.2×7.25mm; Weighs 129 grams
- 3,000 mAh non-removable battery with Quick Charge 3.0
We have mentioned the smartphones that we found best in the lot. Have we missed any smartphone? or you have got a better suggestion? Let us know through the comment section below!