4G in India: FIPB Defers Augere’s 100% FDI Plan

By December 2nd, 2014 AT 11:36 PM

In another 4G update, Indian government has deferred Augere Wireless to increase its foreign stakes to 100% in its Indian venture. UK based Augere won BWA spectrum in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh in 2010 and paid Rs 125 cr for it. Globally Augere is going with a mission to provide “broadband for all“.

Augere to Launch 4G Wireless Broadband In Madhya Pradesh

In 2011 Augere announced to roll out services initially in 14 cities starting from Q2 of 2012. That time FIPB approved Augere’s application to increase foreign stakes from 49% to 74%. Foreign funds were from Harbinger Capital, France Telecom, New Silk Route and Vedanta Opportunity Fund as well as its founder, Sanjiv Ahuja, former CEO of Orange. Remaining 26% is in the hands of Moser Baer group founder Deepak Puri. Note that New Silk Route has stakes in tower company Ascend Telecom Infrastructure Ltd along with TVS Group.

4G Map Old

Everest Brand Solutions was appointed as Augere’s brand promoter, Ericsson got the network deal. A brand name, Zoosh was also announced. The company had plans to invest $60 million in next 3-5 years. But in the middle of 2012 Augere announced to cease operations due to regulatory uncertainties and was looking for buyers. However it could not able to sell its licenses in India. In August 2014 they filed to FIPB to become 100% FDI infused entity.

Globally Augere offers services in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Uganda and Rwanda under brand name of Qubee. Recently it acquired licenses to operate in Tanzania too.

Leave a Reply

avatar
Photo and Image Files
 
 
 

Recent Posts

Vodafone Super VoLTE: Availability, Compatible Handsets and Everything You Need to Know

Bharti Airtel followed on the footsteps of Vodafone as it introduced the VoLTE for roaming a few days back. The...

Bharti Airtel Simplifies ISD Tariff for Calls to Bangladesh and Nepal, Reduces Cost by 75%

Only a few days back we reported about Airtel’s noteworthy ISD roaming plans which offer one of the most convenient...

D2h Introduces Two Month Lock-in Period on Sports Channels, Makes a New Move for Cricket Season

With the new Trai tariff implementation already in the industry, the stakes have gone higher for the DTH providers. The...