Right ahead of the CES 2014, Xiaomi has officially announced the successor to the Redmi 1S, the Xiaomi Redmi 2S. The device is not very different from its predecessor in terms of hardware specifications, expect the processor, connectivity, and the battery. The Redmi 2S features a 4.7-inch HD IPS LCD display, a 64-bit quad-core Snapdragon 410 processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, 4G LTE connectivity, and a 2,200 mAh battery.
Xiaomi Redmi 2S specifications
- 4.7-inch IPS LCD display, 1280 x 720 pixels, capacitive multitouch, and Gorilla Glass protection
- MIUI v6 based on Android 4.4 KitKat
- 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 MSM8916 SoC, 64-bit processor, and Adreno 306 GPU
- 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, and microSD card slot (up to 32GB)
- 8MP rear-facing primary camera, BSI sensor from OmniVision, autofocus, LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, and 1080p video recording
- 2MP front-facing secondary camera and 720p HD video recording
- Dual SIM, 4G LTE/3G, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0, GLONASS A-GPS, microUSB v2.0 port, and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 2,200mAh battery
Xiaomi hasn’t even upgraded the camera, as the Redmi 2S sticks to an 8-megapixel primary camera on the back and a 2-megapixel secondary camera on the front. The rear camera has a BSI sensor from OmniVision, an f/2.2 aperture autofocus lens, and 1080p video recording ability, while the front-facing camera can record HD 720p videos. Just like the Redmi 1S, its successor features two SIM card slots, but this time, both the SIM card slots are compatible with 4G LTE networks for faster data connectivity. The device supports 4G LTE connectivity over TDD-LTE (B38/B39/B40/B41) and FDD-LTE (B3/B7) bands, so it will be compatible with 4G LTE networks in India, though there’s no official word on its India-specific launch.
The device will be available in five colours; Dark Gray, White, Bright Yellow, Light Green and Pink. It is priced at CNY 699 (Rs. 7,123) and will be available through flash sale in China through QQ Tencent on the 9th of January.