IFA 2016, Berlin is underway. Samsung has unveiled its Gear S3 Classic and Gear S3 Frontier smartwatch models at the event. These Tizen-based wearables are identical smartwatches with 1.3-inch AMOLED screens with Corning Gorilla Glass SR+ protection wrapped in 46mm wide bodies. The displays are always on, that the watches will show time instead of fading to black.
The models also have similar specs like the dual-core Exynos processors, 786MB of RAM, 4GB of inbuilt storage, standalone GPS radios, and 380mAh batteries. The batteries would last 3-4 days on a single charge, claimed Samsung. It is in terms of connectivity that the duos differ. Primarily, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier has inbuilt LTE radio to accompany its Bluetooth and Wi-Fi transmitters. There are also the SOS feature, microphone, and speaker to make HD voice calls in Frontier. The Classic variant features only the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
Both have IP68 ratings for water resistance, NFC and Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) support for mobile payments using Samsung Pay. The devices automatically track workouts, the rotating bezel can be used to pick calls or put the alarm on silence. Samsung Gear S3 Classic and Gear S3 Frontier will roll out from October. Gear S3 Classic costs $299 (approx. Rs. 20,000).
Samsung Gear S3 Classic and Gear S3 Frontier specifications:
- 1.3-inch AMOLED displays of 360×360 pixels resolution
- Processor: 1GHz Dual-Core Exynos processors
- RAM: 768MB
- Internal Storage: 4GB
- Operating System: Tizen-based wearable platform 2.3.2
- Built-in speaker
- IP68 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Connectivity: 3G/4G LTE (Gear S3 frontier), WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, MST, A-GPS/Glonass
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Ambient Light, Barometer
- Battery: 380mAh Li-ion battery with wireless charging (WPC Inductive)