“Happy New Year” offer is different from “Inaugural offer”, claims Reliance Jio

In response to the queries raised by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Reliance Jio said that the free data offer provided till 31 March 2017 is not an extension of the promotional offer expired on 4 Dec 2016, reports NDTV and PTI. Instead, the newly announced free benefit is a Happy New Year” offer for the subscribers.

jio

In the letter dated December 20 to Reliance Jio, TRAI pointed out that the promotional offers can be provided only for a period of 90 days and thus, the newly extended offer till 31 March 2017 is a violation of the norms and can be seen as “predatory”.

According to the report, Reliance Jio has submitted a detailed explanation of how the new offer differs from the old. Under the old offer started on September 5, free data limit per day was 4GB. However, under the new offer, data usage is capped at 1GB (under Fair Usage Policy).

“We have noticed that 80% of Jio users consume less than 1GB of data daily. One GB per day is still a substantial amount of data. In fact, it is 30 times the average usage on other networks! But, the other 20% of users consume disproportionately higher amounts of data, and we have observed that this disproportionate usage contributes significantly to the congestion. In short, 20% of the users create a poor experience for the other 80%. So, in the Jio “Happy New Year Offer”, we have fine-tuned our Fair Usage Policy to ensure that all users get a fair share of Jio’s network capacity,” Jio said in a statement (Source: Financial Express).

It is also said that the tariff plans have multiple components. Changing one component can change the offer and hence, it cannot be called as an extension of the old offer, Jio said.

Also Read: Reliance Jio seeks additional time to reply on Trai’s query on Happy New Year offer

Also, the new offer will allow the recharge of data and promised speed once the daily limited data limit is over. Reliance Jio currently has 6% of installations in the country. According to Competition Commission of India (CCI) norms, 30% limit can only be counted as the ‘misuse of market dominance’, concluded the report.

Reported By

Leave a Reply

99 Comments on "“Happy New Year” offer is different from “Inaugural offer”, claims Reliance Jio"

 

Sort by:   newest | oldest

[…] The LTE-only network aside, the major attraction for Reliance Jio is its complete free 4G services until March 31, 2017. This is another point where every operator is feeling the pressure. Jio already crossed 50 million subscriber base in just 83 days and will hit 100 million subscribers by the end of ‘Jio Happy New Year‘. […]

[…] a month ago announced subtle changes to its ‘Welcome Offer’ and it will be now called as ‘Jio Happy New Year Offer,’ but does Jio offer only 4G services? The answer is NO. RJIL (Reliance Jio Infocomm) already […]

Sugu
December 31, 2016 12:34 pm 12:34 PM

Off topic: Seems Jio started International Roaming! 2 days ago when I spoke to their customer care, they said Jio does not have international roaming -_-
Able to access 2G/3G/4G networks of UAE.

Nadeem
December 31, 2016 9:21 pm 9:21 PM

It will only work for postpaid as of now

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 5:00 pm 5:00 PM

There are no topup vouchers till now. Is IR free?. Are you able to use data and make / receive calls and SMS?.

Sugu
December 31, 2016 7:25 pm 7:25 PM

@Sudhakar not able to make/receive calls, able to access etisalat/du and data connection is opened but no data transfer. Able to receive incoming SMS including OTP’s

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 10:45 pm 10:45 PM

What error message do you get if you call your Jio number in UAE from any other number?. 3 short beeps?.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 10:44 pm 10:44 PM

No incoming also?. Ok ok.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 10:44 pm 10:44 PM

Incoming calls?.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 10:43 pm 10:43 PM

What about outgoing SMS?.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 10:42 pm 10:42 PM

Is SMS going if the SMS centre number is changed to etisalat or du’s number?.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 9:41 pm 9:41 PM

airtel has special offer for Indian customers in UAE :

Local calls or outgoing call only to India : Rs.30 each

Outgoing call outside UAE other than India : (normal rate) : Rs.200

Incoming calls : Rs.30

Outgoing SMS (normal charge) : Rs.25

Monthly rental (normal charge) : Rs.99.

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 9:37 pm 9:37 PM

Are you able call the customer care number of the visited operator (like 121 for airtel in India and Ooredoo in Kuwait or 12345 for Idea in India)?. Just asked.

Shivang Singh (SS)
December 31, 2016 4:11 pm 4:11 PM

Rates?

Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 5:22 pm 5:22 PM
From UAE : > Data : Rs.358 for 1 MB > Outgoing local calls : Rs.32 > Outgoing calls outside UAE : Rs.98 > Outgoing calls to India : Rs.98 > Incoming call : Rs.49 > Outgoing SMS : Rs.11 Kuwait : > Data : Rs.394 for 1 MB > Outgoing local calls : Rs.48 > Outgoing calls outside Kuwait : Rs.98 > Outgoing calls to India : Rs.98 > Incoming calls : Rs.49 > Outgoing SMS : Rs.11 All call charges are per minute. Airtel prepaid international roaming rates : Kuwait : > All local calls : Rs.50 >… Read more »
Sudhakar
December 31, 2016 4:59 pm 4:59 PM

Go to jio.com and click the link to download the PDF file

wpDiscuz