After teasing it for quite some time, Samsung has finally launched the Galaxy Note7 at the Galaxy Unpacked 2016 event in New York. The smartphone is a successor to the Note5 and comes with an array of new features. It will be available from August 19 in Blue Coral, Gold Platinum, Silver Titanium and Black Onyx color options. Many reports are hinting that Samsung might launch the device in India on August 11 at an event in New Delhi.
The Galaxy Note7 features a 5.7-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED curved edge screen (2560×1440 pixels) with an always-on display technology and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection. It is powered by an Exynos 8 Octa 8890 or Snapdragon 820 processor (depending on the region).
The device runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and sports a 12-megapixel Dual pixel rear camera with LED Flash, dual-pixel PDAF, Smart OIS, f/1.7 aperture and a 5-megapixel selfie camera. The Dual Pixel rear camera is touted to capture brighter and sharper pictures in low-light. It boasts 4GB of RAM and 64GB (UFS 2.0) internal storage, which is expandable up to 256GB via microSD card. The device supports LTE and is in tune with Cat.12, LTE Cat.10, and LTE Cat.9 bands, it may differ by regions and network operators.
It is a metal-clad smartphone clubbed with a 3D glass design and IP68 ratings for water and dust resistance (just like the Galaxy S7 lineup). It comes with hybrid dual-SIM, a fingerprint scanner, and an Iris scanner that allows users to unlock the device using eye recognition. The improved Galaxy Note7 S Pen has a shorter 0.7mm tip with enhanced pressure recognition.
The Screen off memo allows users to attach a memo to the Always On Display, and it also lets users take a memo as soon as they remove the S Pen from its slot. The Smart Select enables users to create and share GIF animations, while the Air Command functions let users zoom in or translate a text just by hovering the S Pen over it. A 3500mAh battery backs the Galaxy Note 7 with Quick Charge 3.0 along with wired and wireless support.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 specifications
- 5.7-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED curved edge screen with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Exynos 8890/ Snapdragon 820 processor clubbed with 4GB of RAM
- 64GB (UFS 2.0) internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, dual-pixel PDAF, Smart OIS, f/1.7 aperture and 5MP front-facing camera
- IP68 rating water and dust resistance and S Pen stylus
- 4G LTE Cat.12, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC, USB Type-C, Heart rate sensor, Fingerprint sensor, Iris scanner, Barometer
- Measures 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm; Weighs 169 grams
- 3500mAh battery