Motorola Reportedly Cancelled Moto X5 Smartphone

Following reports claiming Motorola laid off almost 50% of its engineering staff in Chicago headquarters, another one is in suggesting that even more is happening behind the scenes. The company is planning to cancel the Moto X5 entirely, and scale back its operations on Moto Mods. According to Android Police, Lenovo has decided to scrap the Moto X5 and will not release any X series device going forward. The report credits an unnamed “source familiar with the company’s plans” for the information. Specifically, the report says this is not the case of Motorola not developing a Moto X5, but more so that the company has abandoned the launch of the phone that was already in development.


The Moto X5 was to be the successor to the last year’s Moto X4 (review) that came back in September. It was one of the Motorola-made Android smartphones that leaked earlier this year, along with Moto G6 and Moto Z3.

The cancellation is the direct result of Lenovo’s strategy to cut down its costs. The company will instead focus on streamlining its lineup and continue to work on Moto G, E and Z series. The entry-level Moto C series was allegedly cancelled as well as there isn’t a single rumour about the series.

Moreover, Motorola is also said to be scaling back its efforts to partner with third-party Moto Mod makers. The company is taking a stricter approach with its future range of Moto Mods. Instead of releasing ones that appeal to niche markets, the company will focus on ones that it “believes can actually turn a profit.”

This report is quite disappointing for avid Motorola fans who were expecting the launch of Moto X5. Previous reports and leaked renders suggested the Moto X5 to sport a sleek bezel-less design with an iPhone X-like screen notch. The notch apparently housed the front cameras and a speaker.

The official-looking image hinted dual front and rear cameras. The rear panel also sported the fingerprint scanner. Other specs included 5.99-inch IPS FHD+ display, octa-core processor paired with 4GB of RAM, 16MP + 8MP front camera, 12MP+ 8MP rear camera and 3300mAh battery. However, the Moto X5 seems shelved for now.

Reported By

Leave a Reply

4 Comments on "Motorola Reportedly Cancelled Moto X5 Smartphone"


Sort by:   newest | oldest
March 10, 2018 1:41 pm 1:41 PM

Wht its seems to be not good tht your announcement is vry bad for Motorola customers….. And favours….. Thn what else you gona do… Is there any new model gona come aftr sme months ???? In Z,Gand X series..

Sandeep Bansal
March 10, 2018 11:56 am 11:56 AM

Oh man that’s sad!!!

March 10, 2018 11:26 am 11:26 AM

Motorola is over doing it .. buzillions of models with every alphabet. Scale it down. The Moto X concept (midrange with high end features and mid priced) should, however, continue. Don’t make the mistake that Nokia did in Y2008. Also introduce models in the range of 4″ – 4.7″ screens within the 62 – 69mm width range – you’ll see a huge demand in your devices. All this talk about large phones is impractical .. sort of like how everyone returned to using laptops after getting fed up of the impracticality of using tablets. Don’t be one of the herd.

Priyansh Singh
March 12, 2018 4:36 pm 4:36 PM