As per the latest report from Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), the number of GSM subscribers has increased by 6.12 Million in September which translates to 0.82% increase from the previous month. The total number of GSM subscribers now stands at 756.08 Million in India. Key observations from the report are as below:
- Airtel has maximum number of GSM subscribers at 211.55 Million overall.
- Idea has added maximum number of subscribers in September. Out of the 6.12 Million subscribers added in September, 1.73 Million are Idea subscribers.
- As per the latest numbers, Airtel still is the market leader followed by Vodafone, Idea, BSNL and Aircel.
- As per the September numbers, operators who gained market share over the previous month are: Idea, Uninor and Aircel. Operators who saw a dip in their market share numbers marginally are: Airtel, Vodafone and BSNL. Does this mean subscribers are ditching the big telcos in search of better connectivity and services?
- Circle wise, Maharashtra leads the race by adding 0.83 million subscribers in the month of September, the highest amongst the lot.
In the coming months, about 3.03 million subscribers from Loop Mobile would be re-distributed which will again change the market share numbers and the market equilibrium.