The recently concluded largest ever auction has redrawn the mobile spectrum map of India. The latest auction has paved way for the entry of a new 3G operator in at least 6 circles, also there has been enough capacity created for a new 4G entrant in all 22 circles. Accordingly we have updated the Pan India spectrum holding data sheet, where all figures represented are in MHz. Please note that the spectrum depicted in the 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz bands is paired while that in 2300 MHz and 2500 MHz bands is unpaired. Also note that during the merging of the erstwhile Chennai telecom circle with Tamil Nadu circle, the validity of the spectrum held by operators across the two circles was extended to whichever was expiring later.
New changes in spectrum holding data after October 2016 auction
- Reliance Jio won 850MHz spectrum 4 circles, 1800 MHz in 8 circles and 2300 MHz in 16 circles
- Bharti Airtel won 1800 MHz spectrum in 8 circles, 2100 MHz in5 circles and 2300 MHz in 13 circles.
- Idea cellular won 1800 MHz spectrum in 12 circles, 2100 MHz in 4 circles, 2300 MHz in 3 circles and 2500 MHz in 16 circles.
- Vodafone India won 1800 MHz spectrum in 11 circles, 2100 MHz in 7 circles and 2500 MHz in 15 circles.
- Reliance communications lost 1800 MHz spectrum in Gujarat and won it in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Tata Docomo managed to retain its 1800 MHz spectrum in Mumbai, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh circle.
- Aircel won 1800 MHz spectrum in Bihar.
For more detailed information about each band, check out our Handy guide to frequency bands used for telecommunication in India.
Abiding by the spectrum holding cap rules laid down by DOT, an operator can own the right to use spectrum only in a quantum less than or equal to 50% of the combined available spectrum in all sub GHz bands (Band28+Band5+Band8) in a given licence area (circle) and less than or equal to 35% of the total available spectrum across all bands put together in a given licence area.
Note: Manual work was involved in preparation of the chart and errors may have crawled in. Please report any errors you find through comments below
Esmail is our very own in-house spectrum specialist. He is passionate about Telecom, DTH and OTT video streaming apps. When not writing an article, you can find him binge watching shows on Netflix while sipping on a cup of coffee.
Bharti Airtel Offering Unique Benefits With Rs 249 and Rs 299 Prepaid Plans Compared to Rival Telcos
Bharti Airtel is trying to differentiate itself in the prepaid segment when compared to the competitors. In the process, the...
The DTH operators had to discontinue their existing long term plans when the new Trai tariff regime came into effect....
The DTH industry is currently flooded with new digital products which try to bring the OTT content as close to...