Second-Hand Smartphone Market Might Grow to $4.6 billion in Three Years

It is to be noted that more than 95% of the second-hand smartphones in India were wither sold “as it is” whereas the other 5% of the smartphones went through the process of repair or refurbishment. The report informs that when it comes to consumer electronics products, smartphones currently dominate the second-hand market with more than 90% of the market share.

Published by
Anupam Sharma

Second Hand Smartphone Market

According to the latest research report, the second-hand smartphone market in India is on its way to almost double in the coming three years by reaching USD 4.6 billion by the end of 2025. The report comes in jointly from mobile devices industry body ICEA and the research firm IDC. The reports suggest that the consumers traded about 25 million smartphone units in the second-hand market in India, which resulted in revenue generation of more than USD 2.3 billion. The average exchange price of the smartphone was $94 per device, which is about Rs 6,900.

The Statistics of the Second-hand Smartphone Market

The Chairman of India Cellular and Electronics Association (ICEA), Pankaj Mohindroo, during the release of the report, stated that India should be the global of remanufacturing and re-commerce by leveraging its channel of labour cost. He added that substantial growth of re-commerce will help in the reduction of the digital divide as it will facilitate the shift to smartphones from feature phones. He also added that the growth of the second-hand smartphone market would also ensure that there is a noteworthy decline in e-waste as recycling will become the new norm, reports ET Telecom.

It is to be noted that more than 95% of the second-hand smartphones in India are sold “as it is”, whereas the other 5% of the smartphones go through the process of repair or refurbishment. The report informs that when it comes to consumer electronics products, smartphones currently dominate the second-hand market with more than 90% of the market share. Other devices such as laptops, smartwatches, gaming consoles and cameras are also following the suit – slow and steady.

The report also provides intel on different income groups of people who are dealing with second-hand smartphones. It suggests that around 78% of the consumers buying a second-hand smartphone in India have a monthly income of less than Rs 30,000, whereas about 18% have a monthly income in-between Rs 30,000 to Rs 50,000. Thus, it can be concluded from this data that the affordable price range is a major factor in the second-hand smartphone market.

Anupam Sharma

Anupam has been a tech enthusiast for a while and is always on the feet to know about the new launches whether it is smartphones or any other devices. He’s trying to share this passion with the help of his writing skills. Apart from these he’s also a pursuing freelance digital artist and loves creating artworks.

Share
Published by
Anupam Sharma

Recent Posts

Infinix Note 12 vs Realme 9i – Which is the Better Affordable Smartphone

The Hong-Kong based manufacturer launched its new budget smartphone Infinix Note 12 in India yesterday.…

iPhone 14 or iPhone 13, What Should You Wait For

iPhones are the most popular ultra-premium smartphones globally. Currently, the iPhone 13 series is the…

Prepaid Tariff Hikes are Inevitable, What Should a Consumer Do

The telecom sector of India has been in a sort of fix for some time…

Internet and Wi-Fi – How Are They Different?

We are all very well acquainted with the words – internet and Wi-Fi and as…

YouTube Introduces Multiple New Features Such as Most Replayed, Video Chapters and More

California headquartered video sharing and social media platform YouTube has added a bunch of new…

BSNL to Not Wait Long for 5G after 4G

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) will not wait very long to switch to 5G after…

OnePlus Officially Announces Premium Flagship Smartphone Featuring Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1

The popular smartphone maker OnePlus which is known for its value for money smartphones has…

Oppo Reno8 Pro Confirmed to Feature the Latest Snapdragon 7 Gen1 Processor

The Chinese smartphone maker Oppo is all set to introduce its Oppo Reno8 series of…

JioFiber: Every Broadband Plan the ISP Offers

India’s leading internet service provider (ISP) Jio offers a ton of broadband plans under JioFiber.…