The election fever is catching up PAN India - political parties are announcing their candidate constituencies, charismatic leaders have started campaigning and citizens are hopeful of seeing a change once new Government assumes role of leading the country. This will be the world's biggest elections held till date. As responsible citizens we must consider exercising our franchise by voting for the right candidate. To do this one's name must be present in the electoral rolls. Earlier one had to visit local poll booth to verify if his/her name is present in the list but now things have changed and are a lot simpler. This can be done online or even by sending an SMS.
- Head over to Election Commission of India Website [ eci.nic.in/eci_main1/Linkto_electo_search.aspx]
- The direct link provided above will take you to your state Election Commission's search page
- Once you land in State Election Commission's page, you can search by providing Voter ID card number or other details
This process varies from state to state in terms of destination number and the format. We are aware of the process for some states and request readers to comment about their state's process. We will add them to this list!
- Chandigarh - BTH<space>Voter ID Card No. to 9216164606
- Andhra Pradesh - Vote<space>Voter ID Card No. to 9246280027
- Karnataka - Send SMS as KAEPIC<space>Voter ID Card No. to 9243355223
- Tamilnadu - EPIC<space>Voter ID Card No. to 9444123456
- Odisha - CEOODI<space>ED<space>Voter ID Card No. to 9238300131
- Kerala - ELE<space>Voter ID Card No. to 54242 or 537252
- West Bengal - WBEC<space>Voter ID Card No. to 51969
- Uttar Pradesh - UPEPIC<space>Voter ID CARD No. to 9212357123
If you discover that your name is not present in Electoral Rolls, you can submit an application for the same online/offline. Last dates vary across states.
Call Election Commission Helpline
You can reach Election Commission (24x7) at 1950 toll-free. You can opt to call EC for clarifications and complaints.
Certainly, all the above measures are aimed at conducting elections as effectively as possible. We urge Indian voters to make use of the facilities and choose the right people to lead the nation.
Image Source: ECI Website