Clear all

Off Topic Thread  

RSS

Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
18/07/2020 8:13 pm  

-- New thread creation --- 

A thread to discuss the current trends and scenario of the Industry. 

Topic Tags
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
18/07/2020 8:53 pm  

With the kind of partnerships and investments happening in the Industry, and the tech companies that are involved... it looks like 'customer data' is at the receiving end. 

Need to see how it turns up! But I can envisage evolution of ecosystems on the top of this. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
20/07/2020 6:31 pm  

Next AGR Hearing : 10 Aug 2020

Learnt a lot from today's hearing 👍  

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
23/07/2020 10:01 pm  

Trying to understand the investor scenario and competitors involved! 

Google || Facebook - Advertising based on Consumer Data 

Intel || Qualcomm - Processors/Cellular Modems

conflict of interests? 🧐 🤔 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
23/07/2020 10:15 pm  

Jio makes India the highest quality, most affordable data market in the world so that every Indian can do Datagiri.

Wish Jio considers changing the about of the company in the Media Releases. That word 'Datagiri' almost sounds and feels like 'dadagiri' (context may differ from region to region) which is not even sounding well to any sensible person. 

May be they want to attract only the masses, but this isn't expected from someone as big as them.  

Also as a personal take, I would stay away from using products of companies with such tonalities. 

ReplyQuote
Chaitanya
 Chaitanya
(@Chaitanya)
29/07/2020 3:59 pm  

I know vegetable kichidi now investor kichidi happening in Jio fiber. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
25/08/2020 3:22 pm  

Personal Opinion : It needs to be seen what's the verdict going to be. A curious case, not just for India, but for the world.
1. 15, 20 or whatever years - for the dues which were known earlier, may be manageable.
Attention customers - Indirectly, you are the ones who would be sharing the burden too.
2. An unexpected situation for Airtel and Jio, if the verdict requires payment from Jio and extra payment from airtel.
What is Jio's answer going to be for its foreign investors?
3. Also this 15, 20 years requested is for the payments/dues known earlier but not on the new extra payments which may come into the picture(as per the verdict). So, will telcos be given extra time? Something which we need to wait and watch.

DoT being a spectator - Have no words for it.
Suppose things go well, no issues, but if things happen the other way, what message are we going to send the world?

Dear Foreign Investors, this may be a huge market, agreed. But if some concerned approaches and invites for an investment, make sure you first check and get the regulations clear and precise(you may be already aware). I believe India's next-generation don't want to set a context on something which we are not keen on either. Companies should be in a position to only focus on the real competition and business, but not on the deviating factors and issues. Make sure you avoid catch 22 situation.

Best,

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
02/09/2020 11:12 am  

Finally, some concrete numbers before eyes to plan things accordingly - 10 Years.

This is going to define how well are we going to use the Internet,
What digital services are essential and valuable,
what are hyped and what are useful!

Attention Users: Discipline is the core aspect here on mobility.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
23/09/2020 5:11 pm  

#StraightForward :

No doubt, Jio's Tariff plans are always disruptive and shake markets. I wonder and often question my self if they even make some money from the plans which they offer? But the company proved 'YES', and I need to believe it.

Jio's timing of the launch of its new Fiber or Postpaid Plans at a time when tariff hikes are inevitable is thinkable and understandable that they don't last long.

From my understanding, if I'm not wrong, these plans are launched with one intention: Show the market - I'm just good and super affordable if allowed or possible.

Like the 6p IUC, can we expect a reason and video explanation for the hikes in case if it happens in future?

Not even Jio's, I believe the plans of that of Airtel or VI won't last any longer. They( 2 telcos) are responsible and need to pay AGR dues along with other payments to the banks. In a logical sense(which I leave it to the reader), Jio lost the pricing lever which you think they had.

Airtel responded to Jio's Fiber plans, and I'm waiting for BSNL now!

BSNL can give a fight to the competition (currently in the market) on the FTTH segment. Still, they will not be that aggressive in customer acquisition or competitive enough (in customer experience perspective) to be a threat. They walk at their own pace and serve the customer if they can, else the customer themselves will walk away.

Until then, waiting for the inevitable hikes (initial phase) to experience the reactions of the market on the new tariffs for the future.

-- Opinion as on date based on the current market trends.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
12/10/2020 1:35 pm  

#Devices 

Mobile Devices Play an essential role in tandem with the networks of telcos to deliver an exceptional experience to end customers. OS is the core; however, the sad state of OS market share dominated by Android and iOS without peaceful alternatives is disheartening. Not something new, but the other day I was filtering (Sniffing) the data flow on my android device, and was disappointed to see around 100-300MB per day is being consumed just for the purposes best known to Android/App ecosystems.

This incident makes me remember the data usage monitor on the good old Symbian, Maemo(N900), Meego(N9) OS based devices. What you consume (the session data usage monitor on the device) is what the telcos have billed too. Missing the pure mobile usage centric operating systems.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
20/10/2020 2:08 pm  

#PersonalOpinion 

Customer Categorisation, Segmentation or Profiling - Whatever the naming practice is. 

I have been trying to understand the patterns and the scenarios which are in practice for categorising a customer for quite some time now. To quickly highlight the practices in existence, please allow me to use the word 'flawed.' These practices also give us a hint of the mindset, culture and values of the company towards its customers. During this understanding process of mine, I may have been a victim of these bad practices too. The loyalty benefits which are in the market are also a result of the same, and some are for brand sake. 

While not having ample time to elaborate the same, I have quickly highlighted my thoughts below: 

1. Since 2016 when the market itself is disturbed or disrupted (whatever we courteously call it), how can any data point from the current scenario be of help?

As an example: I used to spend in 4 digits per month on each number of mine during the pre-2016 days. Now, if I'm segmented in a 3 digit category, whose mistake it is? The market has downplayed the customers' actual buying potential.

2. New technology 4G and beyond - Everyone wants to experience the latest technologies. Maybe churn happened to experience the same from 2G/3G to LTE? Are telcos able to pull them back?

3. Network Deployments: Telcos are continuously working on deploying the latest advancements on the live network. Users' experience may have enhanced or degraded. So, are these scenarios considered too when customers' PORTing data is considered?

Are telcos really fixing the genuine problems of serious customers who are PORTing out? Apart from the retention plans, I can say No from my experience, except for customers on telcos' lists (which were created using substandard practices, and some may be coincidentally good) not in many cases I have seen and witnessed.

Then how can PORTout be any parameter of help to segment? I'm referring to genuine customers and not those who port just to avail retention benefits.

The rigorous practice of offering retention benefits to match the competition started with the disruption in the market, but don't see a need for it in the future. When the service quality and loyalty programs are impeccable, there is no need for retention benefits at all. Isn't it? Can telcos give a thought to it?

4. Usage: When there are no rules, how can a customer be expected to follow the discipline? One side there are dirt cheap voice and data offerings, and on the other side, can the industry expect a disciplinary usage?  

Voice: The calling patterns have also drastically changed with UL benefits. In the current scenario, when one party solves the purpose of making a call and conveying a message, how does it matter which side the call originates? We never know, who sends 'call me' in an IM and which side the call originates.

I agree that there are abusers, but why does a genuine customer be differentiated when he/she uses whatever he/she paid for? The telcos should have done the pricing right if they have any usage issues. A typical consumer mindset is to use whatever they have paid. Irrespective of an individual's discipline or approach it is the telco's responsibility to handle this with the pricing lever at their disposal. This is vast to explain, and I'm ending it here. 

5. Customer Data-CAF-Onboarding: Do telcos have it right? I'm not referring anything about Aadhaar based onboarding. 

Example: I have a VID based onboarding, and my DOB in telco records is wrong. I should be 50+ now as per it. So, what now? Any major decision based on age, the service experience or offering for a potential customer like me is at stake. Not sure if the telco has the right data and show the customer something else or if such a concern genuinely exists?

Ps: My VID has the correct data.  

6. Customer Service: The less we talk about, the better it is. At times, I purposefully called to check the QoS (I know I've to face the consequences and some are purposeful too). If strategically planned and implemented, the entire CC services can be automated, thereby relieving customers from pathetic cc experiences and responses.

I've no clue about any practices that are followed, but I was able to comprehend certain logics from the experiences I have had. Sometimes I feel the practices contradict among themselves and conflict with the offerings. 

There are numerous parameters to discuss that are impacted by the disturbances in the market which are hard to put forward in a go. We know multiple telcos have shut, and few have merged, and the last 4-5 years data is of no serious help to any telco IMO. But unless there is a fresh start, if anyone prefers to use the current data sets with self-proclaimed practices, then there are vested interests. Whatever, I believe any attempt to segmentation with the current data or practices is not a good thought. There are life cycle events too that may have happened or need to be considered before coming to definitive conclusions. Who should be responsible for the cumbersome and challenging cleanup task for someone's interests?

Ps: I'm Cloudera certified and experienced in working with massive data sets and data points. I believe that knowledge helps me to understand some portion of the backend implementations to an extent.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 2MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: