Forum

Wireless - How much...

Notifications
Clear all

Wireless - How much Data is being consumed for your WFH demands?  

RSS

Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
12/04/2020 12:53 am  

If you a user who is entirely relying on wireless broadband for your WFH needs, is your current plan able to serve the need? Are you topping with any extra data add-ons? Do you have alternate arrangements in place?

Are you able to seamlessly complete a video conference or screen share?

Pratul Karmokar
(@pratulk09)
Eminent Member
12/04/2020 7:04 pm  

Currently I use somewhere between 1-2 GB for a day. I'm using this to get connected to my office VPN and also for meetings through Zoom app. I'm using BSNL as my main connection and have fallback option to Jio just in case there is a issue. But still i have not needed to use the fallback option though.

I also have a few friends who too are using mobile wireless connection for their day to day use and they too have reported data usage in the same range.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
13/04/2020 11:07 am  

@pratulk09

Absolutely, unless most of the work is through a connected remote machine, screen sharing and meetings most of the day, 1-2GB should suffice daily needs.

Just wondering what are the speeds you are experiencing on BSNL? 5-10Mbps? Most of the corporate application requirements should be working fine with these speeds.

ReplyQuote
Pratul Karmokar
(@pratulk09)
Eminent Member
13/04/2020 1:32 pm  

@srikapardhi
I experience a wide range of speeds through out the day.
During Afternoon the speeds are around 1-1.5 Mbps.
Evening time is the worst, speeds range between 0.5-1.5 Mbps.
Night is much better at 2-8 Mbps.

Earlier when MTNL used to provide network, I used to experience speeds between 5-10 Mbps throughout the day.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
13/04/2020 7:25 pm  

@pratulk09 How long have you been using BSNL?

ReplyQuote
guruz
(@guruz)
Eminent Member
14/04/2020 12:57 am  

I use act Fibernet I have 200gb of data with 40mbps speed permonth. There after 512kbps

Around 100gb I consume. 810rs with tax

And also I have a bsnl dsl connection with the 349plan

2gb a day thereafter 1mbps speed.

I use 2 or 3gb a month. 410rs with tax

ReplyQuote
Chaitanya
 Chaitanya
(@Chaitanya)
16/04/2020 12:39 pm  

@guruz not on act longterm plan?

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
16/04/2020 8:39 pm  

I think keeping future in mind we might have a situation that we might need wired connection for dependability and looking at the cost factor also.

Not sure for WFH mobile hotspot will be worth for us also to use it.

Im consuming around 40+ GB per day.

My usage is like: 

Video Calls, Office Calls, Office VPN, Emails, Spotify, Software updates etc etc.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 6:46 am  

@Bindu Sharma 40+ GB/Day 😱 OMG!  

No way... for a typical working professional in general... 

-- For now, can't allocate bandwidth to come-up with some concrete numbers or analysis, below are some rough approximate numbers based on my understanding ---

Unless one is always into cloud/s-ftp, downloading/uploading/transferring lot of data and time waste stuff 40GB/Day is unimaginable...

Even if we consider a 13Hr/day duration, this number looks impossible for me unless you are determined to spend your day by 'Only consuming data.'

And more over 

Video Calls - let's take 4 Hours - 1.5GB/Hr and ALLOCATE 6GB

Office Calls - Okay, considering voice calls allocate another 4 Hours and 1.5GB approx

Office VPN, Emails - Allocate 1GB/Day, I'm sure of the outlook/lotus notes consumption. The actionable email number will not be in thousands even if a person deals a 200 member team.  

Spotify - After taking away 8+ Hours already for meetings/calls, reading/replying emails what time is left? Okay, let's assume 2 Hours of music activity and highest bitrate - So roughly 300MB-500MB. 

Software updates etc etc. - This won't be a daily activity even for a person working in software Industry/VFX/Gaming. 

So, how ever lenient we allocate data, the daily consumption of a typical working person will not cross 10GB. 

There might be some exceptional cases, but rare is my opinion. 

If you can share the names of the softwares and work nature I can very well try to come up with some usage numbers close enough 😉 

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
17/04/2020 7:16 am  

@srikapardhi My Bad I'm so sorry I was actually trying to say that I use 4.0 GB per day. 

But nice breakdown 👌 how you were able to analyse the whole situation very well put ..👍

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
18/04/2020 9:28 pm  

@Bindu Sharma I remember I started my first Broadband Experience on BSNL DSL with just 2GB/Month. I must thank BSNL for their services. Nostalgic days.

ReplyQuote
@MSRS_Reddy
 @MSRS_Reddy
(@@MSRS_Reddy)
18/04/2020 9:37 pm  

@srikapardhi MAX I'm using 10GB/day on Broadband + 2-3 GB on Mobile

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
18/04/2020 9:41 pm  

@srikapardhi Nostalgic days even I'm sure telecom operators must be liking to the good old days. Who was making some money at those days. Than what is happening in the current scenario. 

I'm not sure about 2GB per month in broadband but if we do the maths to overcome the debt what telecom operators are holding up telecom operators might end up charging Rs 3000+ monthly for mobile and a basic broadband plan might come for Rs 3500+ with limited data, at least this can help them to overcome the debt .

Not sure how come.they plan to get the money to retain the network n other expansion plans. 

ReplyQuote
@MSRS_Reddy
(@msrs_reddy)
18/04/2020 10:02 pm  

In these Days I'm using 10GB/day ( Torrents , Netflix , Prime etc ) on Broadband + 2-3 GB on Mobile

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
19/04/2020 9:46 am  
Posted by: @Bindu Sharma

Rs 3000+ monthly for mobile

@Bindu Sharma If that is the case, postpaid subscribers should be given more benefit or preference than prepaid subscribers. When a user segment is trying to be associated and committed, they are made to feel exploited(disregarding the bulk data benefit for the price in the current scenario), a fact which I always dislike. On the other hand, telcos lure prepaid segment. Infact prepaid segment should be the one with lesser benefits. Now, I should ask where we can find some sense?
Then considering the scenario, I'm happy we can see a clean internet going forward. Good Bye T....s

Posted by: @Bindu Sharma

basic broadband plan might come for Rs 3500+ with limited data

Wish it happens. We can see some positivity around. I have an analysis on my mind, which I'm holding from a long time, supposed to get published on the insights section, maybe will have some bandwidth in May. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
19/04/2020 10:06 am  

@msrs_reddy Now what is that 2-3GB on Mobile for? 

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
26/04/2020 8:11 am  

@srikapardhi Everyone must have started the early childhood with BSNL 😇 . Those days when internet use to be a service which was considered as precious as a gold 😔 miss those era where parents use to scold stop spending money on internet cafe etc. 

ReplyQuote
DUANE
 DUANE
(@DUANE)
29/04/2020 4:25 pm  

@Bindu Sharma nice sharing 🙂

ReplyQuote
Mehar Mehta
 Mehar Mehta
(@Mehar Mehta)
30/04/2020 6:22 am  

@DUANE Thanks so much Duane, good to see you after long time.

ReplyQuote
Pratul Karmokar
(@pratulk09)
Eminent Member
10/05/2020 9:20 pm  
Posted by: @srikapardhi

@pratulk09 How long have you been using BSNL?

I have been using BSNL for more than 2 yrs now as a main data connection at home. I started with their 333 plan and later moved on to 1098 monthly. Currently I'm using 1099 for 84 days.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: