Clear all

BSNL Wings  

RSS

Srikapardhi
 Srikapardhi
(@Srikapardhi)
15/04/2020 12:57 pm  

Have anyone tried BSNL Wings?

How is the service quality, battery backup of the device after installing the SIP client?
BSNL also removed the free trial pack sometime earlier.

Just wanted to hear from anyone who tried or been using the service.

Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
15/04/2020 7:33 pm  

@Srikapardhi Does a service like BSNL Wings is required in a modern technology era ?

when operators are talking about 4G and high speed internet etc ?

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
15/04/2020 8:12 pm  

@Bindu Sharma haha...

Just like how you asked to try '2G' in Delhi in the age of 4G and high speed internet 😉

Some help to someone.  

If we keep why Wings - its uses, and the underlying tech (VoIP) aside,

you mean to say someone or the managing team in BSNL at the decision making end is mismanaging things and wasting resources?

Why do you think the service is launched? If not so useful, why it is not being closed?

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
15/04/2020 10:21 pm  

@srikapardhi What i was trying to say is BSNL is always the core part of India and its the national digital backbone of India. 

Infact my take was rather than going for BSNL Wings if BSNL works closely with pvt telecom operators on a passive or active network sharing and improve bsnl network it would have been good.

Unless a operator is strong with networks and connectivity one cannot fight competition. There are some operators who launch various plans by only changing the plan name rather doing any proper research on consumers needs or market understanding so i was not trying to say bsnl to be like that one operator.

BSNL could have launched bsnl wings once they make the network stronger was my take 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
15/04/2020 11:10 pm  

@Bindu Sharma 

> National digital backbone of India - Exactly.

> Para 2 - Hope they do that soon. Very much required being a national asset. 

> haha...This one was spot on. I want to add one more (one cannot fight competition) - a proper regulatory too. These kind of acts are done just to achieve feats for today not even having a thought about tomorrow. 

> Agreed to what ever you said, but unless the decision makers themselves in BSNL are strongly determined to bring a change, nothing can be done. 

glad to end this day reading an insightful comment 🤗 

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
15/04/2020 11:44 pm  

@srikapardhi Not only that the regulatory should be friendly with both the party both for operators and customers and stack holders.

Unless we dont have a strong regulatory it will always hang in balance in one side. 

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 3:59 pm  

I have been using BSNL Wings since the last 1.25 years. The service initially had a lot of teething problems like no audio, one way audio, frequent service downtimes etc.

But the service has become better with a dedicated app launched last year, almost zero downtime, clear HD audio and easy registration on dedicated VoIP hardware.

Some of us might question the usefulness of such a service but it seems to be the only independent (not tied to the E1, T1, ISDN or SIP trunk of the same operator) one in the consumer and commercial space in India.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 4:03 pm  

@arjun Glad to hear your experience. Can you share some insights on how are you using the service too? Like I mean what purpose is it serving you?

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 4:32 pm  

@srikapardhi I got the service just out of curiosity and to test it out since I am a VoIP consultant. I haven't used the service much except for occasional testing. As the service had high downtime initially, it was unusable most of the time.

I intend to use it more often as the uptime is close to 99% now. You are given a ten digit number in the cellular range. What it means is that apart from the unlimited 24x7 outgoing calls to any number in India, anybody from anywhere in the world can call you back by dialing that number.

The service can be used through the dedicated Android app, through any softphone on Android, iOS, GNU/Linux, Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS etc. and also through VoIP hardware.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 6:01 pm  

@arjun Thanks for such an elaborate response. So, what do you suggest me? Can I go ahead and try the service? Does it serve any special purpose apart from virtual number and calling for you? How is the battery drain on the device after SIP app installation? 

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 7:31 pm  

@srikapardhi You can go ahead and try the service. It is very economical. BSNL charges you INR 1099 + GST @ 18% which comes to 1296.82 for an year of service.

You can use it for the unlimited calling. But the real use is with an IP-PBX, VoIP hardware or a UC setup. That is where the beauty of a SIP based virtual number shines. The number of use cases and possibilities is huge.

A SIP app does affect battery drain, but not by a huge margin. Although on an app you are usually limited to just receiving and making calls.

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
17/04/2020 8:53 pm  

@arjun Hey nice to know that you are into VoIP consulting but i have a doubt is it profitable in the current market condition ?

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
18/04/2020 11:58 am  

@Bindu Sharma VoIP might not sound profitable in the current market condition, but that is limited to the consumer market in India.

All large corporates and even SMEs in North America, Europe and some Asian countries use VoIP and UC solutions. There is a reason for that. It increases productivity and lowers the TCO. And there are scenarios and use cases which are impossible with a cellphone or simple landline.

VoIP has not seen a massive uptake in India especially in the SME segment because of rock bottom call rates and most people being ignorant of its existence. It has flourished in the BPO, hospitality, banking, consulting and defense sectors for obvious reasons.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: