16/04/2020 12:17 pm  

Any BlackBerry users here? 

I'm one here 🖐️  

Topic Tags
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
16/04/2020 12:19 pm  

@Tarun any heads-up from you? Are you using one these days?

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
16/04/2020 8:33 pm  

I wish i could get one but my last blackberry was BlackBerry KEY2 but still i miss my BlackBerry messenger, the super cool fast browser lite email client password keeper etc etc those was good old days.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 7:28 am  

@Bindu Sharma I wish John Chen reconsiders his opinion on Blackberry 10 OS devices. They are the most required now in this digital era. 

I badly miss them, especially the email, IM, call and Keypad. 

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
17/04/2020 7:39 am  

@srikapardhi I wish he does, only people who mean productivity and security and privacy can understand the importance of Blackberry devices. 

TBH there is no charm in apple or take any android devices it might give you a nice looking phone but they say beauty without any brain is what some 😉 people consider it as . I hope you get it what I was referring to ? 

ReplyQuote
Tarun
(@tarun)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 7:56 am  

@srikapardhi No

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 9:18 am  

@tarun Let this lockdown end, will think of something then. Can't be on P1 list now. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 9:20 am  

@Bindu Sharma 

Yep! I can very well get it.

Maybe that is the reason why blackberry always used to promote the tagline - For Serious Productivity

ReplyQuote
Shubhang
(@shubhang)
17/04/2020 10:38 am  

I too miss those days. It is very tough to have top notch privacy these days. Can we have a topic or article on how to improve our privacy on iOS and Android?

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 12:40 pm  

I still use a BlackBerry Classic. BB10 is still the most fluid, with native apps and true multitasking OS around. The only problem has been lack of apps. This reason alone led to its eventual downfall.

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 12:43 pm  

@Bindu Sharma   What happened to your BlackBerry KEY2 ?  I would still love to get my hands on an Indian version. Although the OS is stuck at Android 8.1, it will be getting monthly security updates till mid 2021.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 12:51 pm  

@arjun Welcome to the forum. Looks like the advertising companies are scared of BB 😉 I wish I get a chance to convince John Chen at least for the Indian market. Hardly 10-15 apps can be built and maintained. Shouldn't be a deal. These are the times when it is needed the most, considering the WFH scenario too...

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 12:52 pm  

@arjun Passport was my last BB10 device. Top notch design and functionality. 

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 1:33 pm  

@srikapardhi   Although it is not easy to convince the top publishers to come out with apps for an OS that had a market share of less than 3% in its heydays. But with PWAs having gained traction, 99% of the codebase can be the same for Android, iOS, BB10, Windows Phone, KaiOS, UBports, LuneOS, Sailfish OS and postmarketOS.

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 1:35 pm  

@srikapardhi   Yes, the keyboard was one of a kind. I had the fortune of trying it out at a store.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 1:39 pm  

@arjun Can you please share some of the names of apps from the top publishers? 

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
17/04/2020 1:41 pm  

@arjun Which industry do you  serve ? Telecom or the government or are you a end user of blackberry ?

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 2:28 pm  

@srikapardhi    It is a long list. But some of them that come to mind presented below category wise:

1) WhatsApp, Viber, Hike, Telegram, BBM, Google Hangouts, Skype, imo, Signal, Tox, Matrix client(s), Jami and SIP clients(SIPdroid, CSipSimple, Blink, Jitsi, Linphone, Ekiga etc.)

2) Google Maps, OSM, Apple Maps, MapMyIndia, Satguide etc.

3) Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive etc.

4) NTES, IRCTC, MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Goibibo, RedBus, Abhibus etc.

5) Paytm, PhonePe, GooglePay, MobiKwik, FreeCharge, Oxigen Wallet, BHIM, PayZapp, Pockets and mobile banking apps from major banks.

6) InShorts, Dailyhunt and apps from major newspapers

7) Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.

8) Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, ShopClues, Paytm, TataCLiQ etc.

9) YouTube, Vimeo, JioTV, JioCinema, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, EROS NOW, Hungama Play, ALTBalaji, SUN Nxt, Disney+ Hotstar, Voot, ZEE5, SonyLIV etc.

10) Amazon Prime Music, JioSaavn, Wynk Music, Spotify, YouTube Music, Hungama Music etc.

11) Zomato, Swiggy, BOX8, Faasos etc.

12) Ola, Uber, MERU, Bounce etc.

13) LibreOffice, Calligra Suite, Google Docs, Microsoft Office, Slack,  ZOHO, Evernote, GSuite, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Duo etc.

14) Airtel Thanks, My BSNL, MyJio, MyIdea, MyVodafone etc.

There are other categories that I might have missed.

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 2:31 pm  

@Bindu Sharma  I serve the VoIP and telecom industry. And I like the physical keyboard on a personal level.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 2:38 pm  

@arjun 

haha.. It looks like you already have a list to bombard me with. 

Anyways from the list you presented, Excluding banking apps, I only use 4-5 apps on a regular basis. 

Rest, I don't need them - personal choice.

Thanks for the sorted list 😉 

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 3:44 pm  

@srikapardhi This wasn't a ready made list. Made this list especially to post a response. Even I use only 2 apps on a daily basis and another 4 occasionally. This list presents an idea of the kind of apps different people use for various purposes. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 3:54 pm  

@arjun oh 👍  

As you referred 'Top Publishers', I thought you would share it publisher wise. But still you have compiled a very good and brief list. 

As blackberry is for a different purpose altogether, the existence of these many apps on the phone voids the purpose, at least for me. I would prefer to carry one BB for work and other shiny device for these apps.

Btw, Are you WFH? 

Stay Safe!

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 4:12 pm  

@srikapardhi You are right in your observation that a large number of apps on a BlackBerry defeats the very purpose and use case of a BB. But a total of say 7-10 apps with a mix of productivity and entertainment can make the BB experience the best out there.

I am an independent consultant. Although I have an office of my own, I am currently doing WFH since most of my work can be done that way.

Hope everybody stays safe in these troubling times, especially people working in the essential services sector.

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 6:02 pm  

@arjun I'm curious to know the 7 apps for productivity, if you don't mind. 

ReplyQuote
Srikapardhi
(@srikapardhi)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 7:31 pm  
Posted by: @shubhang

I too miss those days. It is very tough to have top notch privacy these days. Can we have a topic or article on how to improve our privacy on iOS and Android?

@Shubhang Welcome to the forum. Glad to see privacy minded members joining the forum. 

Sure, though we can do that for you, Why don't you go ahead and start a topic? (Forum is open to start any topic and it will go live after moderation). The community would love to join the conversation. Looking forward to your topic. 

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
17/04/2020 7:48 pm  

@srikapardhi According to me the 7 essential productivity apps are:

1) BlackBerry Hub+

2) LibreOffice Online / Google GSuite / ZOHO Office Suite /Microsoft Office 365

3) Google Drive / Box / Dropbox / OneDrive

4) any SIP app of your choice that is configurable with all the options

5) BBMe or any other IM/UC/remote collaboration/screen sharing app

6) any CRM app of your choice which has API and connectors for all the other tools that you use

7) any project & time management/subversioning/scheduling app

ReplyQuote
Bindu Sharma
 Bindu Sharma
(@Bindu Sharma)
17/04/2020 8:49 pm  

@arjun Hey, its a nice list thanks 😎 

Can you tell me why you are using both ZOHO Office Suite and Microsoft Office 365 ? When one of the service will sort the solution 

ReplyQuote
Mehar Mehta
 Mehar Mehta
(@Mehar Mehta)
17/04/2020 11:06 pm  

Like how Blackberry Failed to innovate which let them to shut the shop if Indian telecom operators don't innovate and come up with customer pleasing offers and give them better offerings at dirt cheap price it will be tough for Indian operators to survive.

Look at the success story of Jio how they were able to disrupt keeping customers trust and confidence in hand they were able to break all records.

And I'm sure when rest of the operators are holding hands and clapping JIO will be flying much ahead of them 😎 . 

What say @Srikapardhi ?

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
18/04/2020 11:25 am  

@Bindu Sharma Those were just options for that category. I personally use LibreOffice where ever possible. And GSuite only when I am on the go.

I do not use ZOHO Office Suite and Microsoft Office 365. Microsoft is way too costly and these two process only proprietary formats.

ReplyQuote
Arjun
(@arjun)
18/04/2020 11:42 am  

@Mehar Mehta BlackBerry's case was a little different. They did not fail to innovate like the old Nokia. BlackBerry produced an amazing OS with BB10. It is just that it could not gain traction due to lack of some key apps.

And they were late to change direction towards Android. There are plenty of glass slabs to choose from for consumption of media but there is only one BlackBerry with a physical keyboard. It is not for everyone as 98% people do not use their phones for productivity.

ReplyQuote
Mehar Mehta
 Mehar Mehta
(@Mehar Mehta)
18/04/2020 4:52 pm  

@arjun If blackberry consumers wanted productivity they would have never wanted apps.

For a end consumer whoes focuses is on productivity all they need is Email client is what I believe they will not have anytime to focus on other apps.

In Blackberry they had the best E-mail client. But still it failed so I won't be able to buy your point.

I think they failed from the leadership side they rather decided to be greedy . Blackberry should have focused more on the already existing huge consumer base they had rather what Android, or iOS was doing.

So I believe they failed due to greed for more.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: